Avishka Fernando scored 82 in the second ODI of the three-match series © Getty

Sri Lanka opener Avishka Fernando believes Sri Lanka are over their lean patch and expect them to perform on regular basis in the upcoming days. Sri Lanka defeated Bangladesh by seven wickets to clinch the three-match ODI series with one game to spare.

"The team has gone through a bad patch, but now we think it's coming to an end. The team is together, and we're looking to support Dimuth 'aiya'. And it's because we all worked together that we were able to be successful," Fernando told reporters after the match. Fernando also felt younger players will now step up and take responsibility to fill the giant void left behind by Lasith Malinga, who retired after the series opener.

"Yes, he used to always pick up wickets inside the first 10 overs and invariably gave us a leg up in games. Now that he's gone, the challenge will be to do that in more games going forward, but thankfully today Nuwan [Pradeep] and the rest of the bowlers got us regular wickets in the early overs," he concluded.

Fernando, who scored 82 runs, added that he was disappointed not to get the hundred, considering he was on course during his excellent innings.

"Yes it's quite disappointing. To have played so well and miss out a hundred, chances like that don't come too often. Next time if I get in a position like that I'll look to make it count.

"Didn't think the wicket would turn that much, because when Bangladesh were batting our bowlers didn't find as much turn. So our plan was to put on a good partnership and give our team the best start. Once we managed that, rest of the batsman were also able to play well," he said.

"There are periods where batsmen score runs, and at other times they can go through a dry spell or bad patch. During those periods when everything is going right, it's important for a batsman to capitalise with big scores. So my goal is to score big scores for my team whenever I can," he said, adding that he is relieved to know his father is better after being admitted to the hospital straight from the Premadasa as his sugar levels dropped during the second match against Bangladesh.

"Yes, I know that that happened when I was batting, but I only found out my father was admitted after I got out. But now it's not as bad as it was, he's in a better condition. That's what I heard over the phone," he concluded.