Ottis Gibson is set to take over as Bangladesh bowling coach © Getty

Bangladesh Cricket Board appointed former South African head coach, Ottis Gibson, as their next bowling coach, a release from the board confirmed on Tuesday (January 21).

Gibson signed a two-year agreement with the board, replacing Charl Langeveldt, who resigned from the post in December 2019. His first assignment will be Bangladesh's upcoming three-match T20I series against Pakistan, scheduled from January 24-27 in Lahore.

"He brings in tremendous experience and has coached or played all over the world. He has also had the opportunity to observe Bangladesh cricket from close. I am sure he will be a very valuable addition to the Bangladesh Team's coaching group," BCB CEO Nizam Uddin Chowdhury said of the appointment.

The Bangladesh T20I squad is scheduled to leave Dhaka on Wednesday (22nd January) by a chartered Bangladesh airplane to complete the first part of the three-phase tour of Pakistan comprising three T20Is along with two Test matches and a solitary ODI, over the course of four calendar months.

Bangladesh's pace bowling coach's post has been vacant since the release of former South African pace bowler Langeveldt as per the request of the Cricket South Africa, on account of including him in Proteas' newly appointed national set-up, headed by Mark Boucher.

Gibson is not a complete stranger to Bangladesh cricket; he was Cumilla Warriors in the Bangladesh Premier League in the most recent edition of the league and has been negotiating with the board ever since, after being approached by the BCB as a probable candidate to fill the shoes of Langeveldt.

Bangladesh will take on Pakistan in first of three T20Is on Friday (January 24).