JAKE McLeod is wondering how big an upgrade is needed to his girlfriend’s birthday present after Sunday’s maiden victory at the NSW Open.

The two-shot triumph at Twin Creeks in Sydney’s western outskirts was his long-dreamt of graduation from top amateur to winner in professional golf.

It has taken him three years, and the $72,000 winner’s cheque was a wonderful bonus on top of the self-confidence from shooting 20-under-par with rounds of 67-68-62-71.

“There were definitely nerves but less than I thought down the last hole where I had a quick look at the water up ahead before getting it safely on the green,” McLeod said.

“I’ve been in contention a few times and not played the last round as well as I wanted, so getting it done is a huge feeling.

“My girlfriend (Madi Wall) had her birthday last Friday so I’m thinking I need to get her a bigger present.”

McLeod was all smiles when fellow Queensland pros Aaron Wilkin, Cory Crawford and Anthony Quayle showered him with champagne on the final green.

He deserved the same treatment on the par five 11th when he drilled a perfect three-wood 232m for his second shot to just 4m for an eagle.

“There were no leaderboards around and I thought getting to 21-under there was plenty, but the gap did get back to one shot,” McLeod said.

Young Victorian Cameron John (66-67-70-67) got that close until bogeys on the last two holes flattened his challenge.

McLeod, 24, played in Queensland teams with PGA Tour ace Cameron Smith and is looking forward to getting in the mix with him at the Australian Open which starts at The Lakes in Sydney on Thursday.

“The confidence is up for the big ones at the Australian Open and Australian PGA where I’m looking for strong results as well,” McLeod said.

He plays on the Asian Tour as well and is hoping to get enough co-sanctioned starts on the European Tour next season to earnfull-time playing rights there.

Pacific Golf Club product Blake Proverbs (67-67-67-74) played his way into the Australian Open by finishing in a tie for ninth.

Redcliffe’s Doug Klein (72-69-65-68) did the same in finishing joint sixth, and his two starts since turning pro have now given his career a $16,300 lift-off.

Proverbs made three late bogeys but had already done enough with his fine play for the week.

A 67-67 weekend for Gold Coast-based Daniel Nisbet jumped him up into the top 15 and showed he could keep scoring well after shoulder issues.