SCOTLAND bowler Safyaan Sharif conceded just six runs off the final over to secure a tie against Ireland in the Twenty20 International Tri-series in the Netherlands.

It is only the 10th tied T20I in history and curiously it is the first of the 10 that did not proceed to a super-over or bowl-off to try force a result.

Chasing 186 for victory, Paul Stirling seemed to have put his side on course to win as he struck a T20I career-best 81 off 41 balls before edging Hamza Tahir to short third man.

And, with Ireland needing just seven off the final over to secure a second consecutive win over Scotland, Sharif had Kevin O’Brien caught on the boundary with the first ball of the over as Stuart Poynter and Stuart Thompson failed to get their side over the line.

Kyle Coetzer elected to bat with Scotland searching for their first win in the tournament, and shared a 93-run first-wicket partnership with George Munsey before the latter edged George Dockrell to slip, falling four short of his half-century.

The Scotland captain went on to reach his 50 off 34 balls, having struck seven boundaries, but was dismissed soon afterwards as he found Thompson at mid-wicket off Simi Singh before Calum MacLeod struck an unbeaten 46 in their total of 185-4.

Ireland lost two early wickets in their reply, with James Shannon bowled by Sharif for six before Andy Balbirnie was caught off Stuart Whittingham.

However, Stirling struck five fours and six sixes in an innings of equal power and finesse as he surpassed his previous T20I high score of 79, before edging Tahir to short third man.

Scotland’s bowlers took regular wickets to dent Ireland’s chase and, although Kevin O’Brien smashed three sixes, Sharif ensure his team remained in the hunt for a place in the final.

The tie means Coetzer’s side must win at least one of their final two matches in the tri-series against the Netherlands to reach the final.