Wildcats centre Angus Brandt has lamented his Andrew Bogut comments being “blown out of proportion”, but says they had no impact on Friday night’s narrow loss to Sydney Kings.

The pair made nationwide headlines after Brandt’s comments on radio describing his Sydney counterpart carrying on “like a bit of a pork chop sometimes on social media”, with Bogut responding by saying he’d let his basketball do the talking.

Brandt posted a double-double to get the better of his individual match-up with the NBA champion, but Perth wilted late to toss away a 15-point lead in the 98-97 home loss.

Brandt said there had been no trash talk or ill-feeling in the tussle, which he labelled as over-hyped after some people had overlooked the context of his comments.

“It was a part of a statement out of a larger answer, and it got blown out of proportion and taken out of context a little bit,” Brandt said.

“For me, it wasn’t a factor in the game. I didn’t feel like there was any bad blood on the court at all.

“I probably could have chosen my words a little better. But it was in response to a question about him walking over to our huddle (in their previous clash), so I stand by the basis of what I was saying.

“People were trying to say I was calling him this or that, but it was more me just saying he acts in a certain way. There’s a very big difference.”

The Wildcats had little time to reflect on Friday night’s loss as they prepared to fly to Melbourne for tomorrow’s clash with defending champions United.

But Brandt said they would learn from their high volume of fouling down the stretch, which proved costly in giving up late points against the Kings.

“There’s wins in a season that are character-building, and there’s losses that are character-testing. (Friday) was definitely one of the latter,” he said.

“Against Melbourne, we’ve got to make sure we don’t make the same mistakes we made against Sydney and keep the fouls under control. We hang our hat on our defence, so we’ve got to get stops.”

Brandt said he was eyeing a chance to replicate his heroics in Perth’s previous meeting with Melbourne in October, where he starred against star centre Josh Boone with 14 points and 20 rebounds in a double-overtime win.

“I’ll take confidence knowing I can be physical with Boone and get rebounds and contribute, and really give them trouble in those areas,” he said.

Meanwhile, Adelaide snapped Brisbane’s three-game winning streak with a gutsy 101-91 road victory yesterday.

Nathan Sobey (24 points) and Daniel Johnson (20) led the way for the Sixers.