VICTORIAN batters Nic Maddinson and Glenn Maxwell have formed a budding partnership in the hope of clawing their way back into the Australian Test team.

In the lead up to Victoria’s JLT Cup match this Sunday against New South Wales, Maddinson spoke to the press about his strong bond with Maxwell in the middle order.

“I batted with Maxi a lot in the last two games; I feel we know each other’s games pretty well,” said Maddinson.

“It felt like we were working well with each other, so that’s something to look to continue in the future and hopefully for a few more years.”

A year-and-a-half after making his Test debut, 26-year-old Maddinson was cut from the Blues but was offered a reprieve when Victoria signed him for their JLT Cup squad.

The Maxwell-Maddinson friendship stems back to their time together at the former Cricket Australia Academy.

“We know each other pretty well … we were roomies back in the academy going on ten years or so now,” said Maddinson.

“When we’re out there in the middle, it feels like we’ve got a really good relationship.

“We’ll continue that and hopefully provide a matchwinning performance this game.”

The pair combined for a game-changing partnership in Victoria’s opening match of the JLT Cup against Queensland — they both scored fifties and put on 101 runs for the 5th wicket in the 13-run victory at Townsville. Maxwell and Maddinson sit at third and fourth respectively for most runs scored in the one-day tournament thus far.

Maddinson believes Maxwell is capable of shining at Test level but says he hasn’t let the disappointment of being dropped from the national team impact his preparation.

“He’s handled himself really well … his attitude hasn’t been any different,” said Maddinson.

“He’s gone about his business; he’s trained really hard … he hasn’t let that (disappointment) creep into any training.

“I know he’s hungry for more runs.”

The left-hander is not bothered by the prospect of facing his old Blues teammates — he’s lost contact with most of the squad since his move south.

“I think my number got deleted when I left; when they kicked me out — I haven’t really heard from anyone for a while,” said Maddinson.

“I don’t want to be caught up in petty banter — if they do, that’s up to them.”

Maddinson was surprisingly selected in the Australian T20 squad that toured Zimbabwe earlier this year — however, he didn’t leave much of an impression with the bat, finishing with scores of 5 and 2. The middle-order batsman doesn’t have a contract for the Sheffield Shield but is looking to reignite his career in the coming weeks of the JLT Cup.

“The environment here is sort of suited to my style — it’s quite relaxed, but there’s still a lot of responsibility on the players to prepare and get themselves ready,” said Maddinson.

“My game’s in a good place at the moment, and I think fitting into the squad has been pretty seamless.

“I’m happy at the moment — I’m pretty settled, I’m confident in my game, and I’m just taking each day as it comes.”

Victoria will play New South Wales at North Sydney Oval this Sunday from 9:30am and can be watched live on Fox Cricket.