Joe Mixon said he had no idea how far his off-field controversy would see him fall in the 2017 NFL Draft after being taken by the Bengals in round two.

In terms of talent, Mixon was regarded by many as the best running back in the class following a stellar on-field career at Oklahoma.

However, Mixon had been considered undraftable by some teams in the league after a video emerged of him striking a woman in a 2014 assault late last year.

He told a conference call of his reaction to being drafted: "It was very emotional. I'm still sitting here crying. I can't believe it. Very thankful. Very honoured to be a part of the Cincinnati Bengals."

Asked if he had any fears as to how far he might drop down the board, Mixon responded: "Honestly, I didn't know. Everything was up in the air. I was blessed to come out as a Cincinnati Bengal. I can't thank them enough.

"It was a very exciting process, little anxious in the process, but at the end of the day, it's all over with, and I can lift that bridge off my shoulders and thank the Cincinnati Bengals.

"I think I bring the piece that they were missing. I feel like I'm going to be very dynamic in that offence. I really feel like me and [ninth overall pick] John Ross are going to bring something to the table that [they] never seen before.

Pressed on how involved he will be with community work in Cincinnati as he continues to try to repair his image, Mixon said: "Very involved. Mostly with the younger kids around the community, whether an AAU team, football team, children's hospital — I like doing a lot of things like that.

"Most people don't get that talking to, or that person to be around them for advice, or anything like that. That's what I'm going to do, just to change somebody's life. You never know who's going through it."