FOR all of Neymar’s talent, he still continues to hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Following a collision with Mexico’s Miguel Layun, the Brazilian superstar threw himself on the ground and proceeded to act as if he had been shot in the leg.

Needless to say, Twitter was less than impressed.

Mexico coach Juan Carlos Osorio wasn’t either.

The 56-year-old Osorio refused to identify Neymar by name but claimed the play-acting, and the ensuing delays in play, had been badly handed.

“I think it’s a shame for football,” said Osorio.

“We wasted a lot of time because of one single player... we lost our style in the second half, because of the referee.

“There were too many stoppages and my players got more and more tired of that situation. At one point there was a four-minute stoppage.

“I think this is a very bad example for the world and the world of football.”

Neymar attempted to play down the incident.

“Look, I think it’s more an attempt to undermine me than anything else,” he said.

“I don’t care much for criticism, or praise, because this can influence your attitude.

“In the last two matches I didn’t talk to the press because I don’t want to I just have to play, help my teammates, help my team.

“I’m here to win. I can always improve. Today I feel much better and I’m very happy for this win.”

GAMES/RESULTS:
Brazil 2 Mexico 0: Neymar panned but there’s no doubting his quality
Belgium 3 Japan 2: Last-minute goal completes stunning comeback

‘PLAYERS WERE STANDING AROUND STUNNED’
Japan coach Akira Nishino admitted his desperate disappointment after seeing his side bow out of the World Cup to Belgium.

“I feel it was a tragedy, but I have to accept the defeat as a fact, I feel devastated and very disappointed,” said Nishino.

“We started off very well, but at the end, right at the very end, to concede a goal like that is not expected.”

Nacer Chadli’s 94th-minute strike at the end of a counter-attack gave Belgium a stunning come-from-behind 3-2 victory.

The Japan players slumped to the turf at the end, and Nishino said they were too stunned to talk it through immediately afterwards.

“I told the players to take a shower in the changing room, because they were just standing around stunned. I will talk to them when we are back at the hotel,” said Nishino.

“When we were 2-0 up and I didn’t change my players, I really wanted another goal, we were controlling the game but at that point Belgium upped their game when they really had to.

“We were determined to disrupt a Belgium side at their best, but at the end we couldn’t really match them.”

Nishino admitted struggling with his emotions at the late sucker punch.

“When we conceded the goal, first I was questioning myself, whether I had control of the game, as we were 2-0 up and then the score was reversed,” he said.

“It wasn’t the players who were to blame, maybe it was me who lost control of the game.

“I questioned myself and my tactics.

“I felt there wasn’t much in it between the teams, so maybe it was my decisions as a coach and we couldn’t keep up when Belgium upped their game.”

COLOMBIA CONCERN GROWS FOR SUPERSTAR
England were given a massive boost as James Rodriguez sat out training on the eve of Thursday morning’s (EST) round of 16 showdown.

The Colombia star’s calf injury meant he could not join in with the rest of his squad’s final session at Spartak Stadium.

While Jose Pekerman’s players started ball work ahead of their last-16 clash, Rodriguez was on the sidelines doing light stretches and being seen to by physios.

He had come onto the pitch with the rest of his team-mates and joined in their pre-session prayer huddle.

But when the squad broke off to start their training, James and Miguel Borja worked separately.

Pekerman said: “We have good news after his medical tests. After his MRI scan we knew he didn’t have a serious injury.

“So we have to see how he feels and as always we hope that he will be able to play for the following games.”

Rodriguez lasted just 30 minutes against Senegal in their final Group H match, while he also failed to start in the opening defeat against Japan due to a calf niggle.

WHAT SOCIAL MEDIA IS TALKING ABOUT:
It was one of the classic games in World Cup history - and it was a shame there had to be a loser.