Liam Livingstone has promised to "take the bull by the horns" if he gets the chance to make his Test debut on England's tour of New Zealand.

The Lancashire batsman is the only new face in the England party for the two matches, their first Tests since a 4-0 Ashes defeat was completed in January.

"Sometimes I have to get in the fight to get the best out of myself," he told BBC Sport.
"That's something I've always done and I don't see it changing."

The 24-year-old may get the opportunity to impress in two warm-up matches against a New Zealand XI, the first of which begins at 22:00 GMT on Tuesday in Hamilton.

With Ben Stokes in the frame to return for the first Test on 22 March, England will almost certainly make changes to the top order that was beaten by Australia.

If Stokes regains his regular spot of number six, pushing Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali lower down, then Livingstone could vie with James Vince for a spot in the middle order.

However, England could choose to employ Stokes at five, meaning there would be no space for either Livingstone or Vince.
Livingstone - who, like Stokes, played his junior cricket in Cumbria - added: "The northern part of me, always wanting to win and do as much as I can to help the team win as many games as possible, hasn't really changed since coming into first-class cricket.

"There are times when you have to hold back, but most of the time it's me trying to put as much pressure as I can on the bowler. It's worked well for me up to now so I don't see why that would have to change going into Test cricket.

"Hopefully I can impress a few people."