Andrew Bogut's Sydney Kings have hogged the headlines but dual Olympian Mark Worthington expects the NBL trophy to head across the ditch to New Zealand.

A keenly-anticipated NBL season tips off on Thursday when the Breakers host the Brisbane Bullets before Adelaide 36ers meet Perth Wildcats.

A retired veteran of 11 seasons and 335 NBL games, Worthington believes, despite the hype surrounding the Kings and defending champions Melbourne United, Australian fans need look further afield to Auckland for the benchmark.

"Everyone thinks that Melbourne or Sydney are going to win it but my prediction is the Breakers," Worthington, who won a title with the South Dragons in 2009, told AAP.

"I just like the way their roster's built and one thing that came through in the (preseason) Blitz and NBA game is they like playing for (new coach and former player) Kevin Braswell."

The Breakers went from NBL easybeats to the league's powerhouse club in 2011, winning four of the next five titles and making the final in 2016.

They faded in the two seasons that followed, but a new ownership panel - featuring two former NBA players and a co-owner of English Premier League club Swansea City - have turned the soil and produced a squad with the depth and quality to contend.

Tai Wesley and Majok Majok have joined the Breakers from United while Worthington believes import Shawn Long will have Bogut's measure.

"And Corey Webster is a premier scorer," Worthington said of the guard who scored 27 points against the NBA's Phoenix Suns last week.

Worthington also tipped perennial powerhouse Perth to make early changes or face ending their 32-year run of finals appearances.

"Streaks are meant to be broken," he said.

"It is a hell of a record but if you look at the talent that's around (in other teams) and retention of their group; they have an older bench and the league has got a lot better.

"I don't know if they've got that mix right at the moment."

With so many changes to all eight clubs' rosters Worthington said there would be plenty to learn across the first month of play.

But he was sure of one thing.

"I retired at the exact right time," he said of his decision to pull stumps after the Taipans bowed out of the 2016/17 finals series.

"The league has become so good; all the imports are really good and I can just enjoy watching it.

"The growth that's always been there at grassroots level just hadn't translated to this point (until now) and I'm excited for the future of the NBL."