THE NBL has deemed a last-second overtime call in last weekend’s Perth - Melbourne thriller was incorrect, likely costing United victory at RAC Arena.

The league’s refereeing panel released the finding in their weekly review of contentious calls, with Mitch Norton’s desperation play to stop Melbourne’s Casper Ware deemed illegal.

Ware was whistled for a charge with just one second remaining in overtime and scores tied, with the potentially match-winning basket waved away.

But the league’s officials today said Norton was not initially in legal guarding position, sliding laterally and arriving late as he caused the contact with Ware.

They said the call should have been a block, meaning the basket would have counted with an additional free throw to come.

Post-game, Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson paid tribute to Norton’s quick-thinking and courageous defence, which resulted in a chipped tooth but helped Perth escape with the 101-96 win.

“He copped a fair whack. If he doesn’t do that, we lose the game,” Gleeson said.

United coach Dean Vickerman said immediately after the loss that the call was a contentious one.

“I haven’t seen a replay of Casper’s drive yet - there’s a charge / block call there that obviously could have gone either way,” he said.

“I’d like to have a look at that one again.

“Certainly it looked like there was a fraction of movement, for me, from the defender.”