IT was scrappy but Cairns left happy after claiming a grinding 88-70 victory over Brisbane in the “Sunshine Stoush” at the Brisbane Convention Centre on Saturday night.

The Taipans opened their 2018-19 NBL campaign by winning every quarter in a typical down-and-dirty Queensland derby while the Bullets were unable to back up the heroics from their 13-point win over New Zealand on Thursday night.

Brisbane’s defensive intensity and offensive execution were not at the same levels as the Auckland triumph as they allowed the visiting Snakes too many easy buckets and failed to convert opportunities in and around the basket as well as going cold from beyond the arc (6/30).

For Brisbane to shine this season, they need multiple weapons firing like they had against the Breakers. Too many players shot blanks last night and they paid the price.

Cairns were not that much better for three quarters but they always seemed in control of the contest and found a gear when they needed to.

They dominated the fourth quarter to blow Brisbane off their home floor with a 28-16 term.

Taipans import Melo Trimble was the best player on the floor with 32 points, seven rebounds and three assists while fellow American DJ Newbill (16 points, 10 rebounds) provided the class at critical times with centre Rob Loe adding 14 points and eight boards.

Reuben Te Rangi top-scored for Brisbane with 18 points while Cam Gliddon added 11 points and Jason Cadee had 10 points and seven assists. But they did not get enough from the likes of import Alonzo Gee (3/11 for eight points), Cam Bairstow (3/10 for six points) or Stephen Holt (1/4 for three points).

The Taipans extended their lead to six points at three quarter time with Trimble adding nine points for the term to have a sneaky 20 at the last change.

It was more like a “Sunshine Stalemate” than a “Sunshine Stoush’’ in the first half with both sides struggling to get the ball through the hoop and 22 personal fouls calls from the whistle-happy referees making for a stop-start affair.

Cairns held a slender 40-37 buffer at the main break after an 8-2 run in the second quarter when the match opened up and the scoreboard attendant was given something to do.

The Taipans led 19-18 at quarter-time after hitting five field goals from 18 attempts while the Bullets were successful with just six shots from 19 attempts.

Cairns coach Mike Kelly said his side hung tough and kicked away when it counted in a confidence-boosting start to their season.

“The team was great. I thought even when we weren’t playing great they believed in what we were trying to do and kept going with it,’’ he said.

“These guys just kept grinding then it kind of broke open…I thought we defensively did the things we were trying to do and had great effort. That’s the thing I’m most proud of.

“We didn’t shoot the ball well but I think everybody is going to come to the party offensively.’’

Bullets coach Andrej Lemanis lamented how often his team were too “enamored” by the three-point option, allowed Cairns too many offensive rebounds and failed to curtail the considerable influence of Trimble.

“I thought our intent was OK but perhaps that commitment to doing that one extra thing…weren’t as sharp as they were the other night,’’ he said.

“The score blew out at the end…they made some plays and we didn’t down the stretch.

“We had our chances. We didn’t take them.’’

The rings at the Brisbane Convention Centre are notoriously stiff and do nothing to help shooters but there was no blaming the tight hoop for the radar for the teams being so wayward.

Boomers centre Matt Hodgson made his comeback from a calf injury with his first bucket as a Bullet being a thunderous dunk in front of 3196 spectators. Will Magnay also made his comeback from an ankle injury.

CAIRNS TAIPANS 88 (R Trimble 32 D Newbill 16 R Loe 14) BRISBANE BULLETS 70 (R Te Rangi 18 C Gliddon 11 J Cadee 10) at Brisbane Convention Centre.