NINE years after their sole NBA battle, big men Andrew Bogut and Nate Jawai will clash in the NBL for the first time on Sunday when Sydney host Cairns.

The last time the two Boomers veterans came head-to-head in 2009 they were playing in the world’s best basketball competition.

Led by a team-high 17 points and 10 rebounds from Bogut, the Milwaukee Bucks claimed a comfortable 87-72 win over Jawai’s Minnesota Timberwolves.

The pair will renew their on-court rivalry at Qudos Bank Arena on Sunday afternoon and while Bogut is excited about taking on Jawai, he says their clash isn’t one of the NBL’s marquee match-ups just yet.

“Two big men who battle down low will be good but I wouldn’t call it a rivalry because as teams we both haven’t done anything yet,” Bogut said.

“That is in terms of winning a championship or getting to finals but hopefully that will change down the track.

“But I’m looking forward to taking on Nate again.

“He is a big physical guy, much like myself, so it should be a good battle.

“We know that Nate is a vital piece of what Cairns are trying to do.”

Bogut wants to beat Jawai but he also has high respect for him as a basketballer and person.

He says the big man’s journey from a small town of 1000 people near Cape York to the NBA and Australian representation has the power to change people’s lives.

“Nate’s story is very inspiring,” he said.

“Being an indigenous player, much like Patty Mills, those guys can do a lot for their communities back home.

“I know Nate is big up in Cairns and around the islands up there.

“He can really show kids that it is possible to live your dream, regardless of where you are from.”

The Kings take on the Taipans at Qudos Bank Arena from 2.50pm on Sunday.