DID anyone see this coming?

The father-son combination of Ivan and Nathan have been linked to a jaw-dropping move to Brisbane, and if it comes off, it would turn the NRL on its head.

The rumour was revealed by The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie on Triple M’s The Rush Hour with MG on Thursday night.

The Broncos have been actively seeking a coaching successor to Wayne Bennett who is off contract in 2019, while they’ve struggled to fill the playmaking void left by Ben Hunt.

The Cleary duo could well solve their problems — and for a long time to come.

“There’s been speculation for a few months now that Nathan and Ivan Cleary would go to the Roosters on a package deal after next year,” Ritchie said.

“The latest rumour suggests they could pack up their bags, book a flight together, head straight to the Broncos.

“By that time, Bennett’s gone, and they could be the halfback and coach to take Brisbane into the future.

“Look, it’ll be denied now and it’s a rumour now so I’m not going to categorically say it will happen, but certainly where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”

Despite missing out on Paul Green and Craig Bellamy and there not being an apparent Bennett successor, NRL 360 host Paul Kent believed the veteran coach wouldn’t be there past his current contract which expires at the end of 2019.

“The one thing we know about the Broncos is they’re looking for a top-shelf coach,” Kent told The Late Show with Matty Johns.
“I think they’re coming in a little late. In the rumour trap the Roosters have made a big bid for both Clearys, but the Broncos are coming in late. I do believe it’s genuine.

“The one thing about the Broncos is they see themselves as the blue ribbon club within the NRL. They want the big hitters.

“I don’t think Wayne will be coaching (at the club in future). He put it on the club this week, he said this is a disruption about his future not being decided, he wants the Broncos to act on it.

“I think that’s a way to put pressure on the Broncos given the fact there’s nobody else out in the market.

“They’ve gone after Paul Green, they’ve gone after Craig Bellamy, they’ve missed both. They don’t want to keep going through the ranks, but certainly Ivan Cleary fits the bill of what the Broncos are after and he brings a quality halfback with him.”