West Coast ruck star Nic Naitanui has promised a realistic approach and a quick resolution to his contract negotiation this year, declaring a pay cut inevitable after his second knee reconstruction.

Naitanui, who has tentatively targeted West Coast’s May 25, Round 10 clash with Adelaide as a return match, said he was two months ahead of his last rehabilitation, wanted to stay at West Coast and trusted the club to be fair to him.

He also revealed he had been training at Perth’s Ninja Academy on a sprung floor to try to develop safer landing techniques and reduce the chances of a third serious knee injury.

Naitanui’s unique talent and marketing appeal made him one of West Coast’s highest-paid players, with contracts totalling more than $1 million per year, although a significant chunk of that is outside of the salary cap.

“We have had minor talks,” Naitanui said of a new contract.

“We will try and knock it over as soon as possible.

“I am not sure what date that will be but I am not one to hold the club to ransom.

“This club has looked after me from day one and they are not going to do me wrong. Whenever they want to do it we will get it done and sign that one off.

“The club is aware of where I am at with my rehab. I am a realistic person with knowing that I have got two compromised knees now.

“Whatever Niz (chief executive Trevor Nisbett) decides he decides, but I am happy because I do have a lot of trust in those guys upstairs.”

Asked if he accepted there would be a pay cut he said: “Definitely.”

Naitanui, who met NBA stars Ben Simmons and LeBron James during a trip to the US over Christmas and New Year, said he was hopeful of maintaining most of his athleticism.

“I am still jumping. I feel like I can still do that pretty well,” he said.

“I thought I might lose some of that but I am jumping off both legs pretty comfortably at the moment.

“I feel like I can keep doing it but also last time doing my knee I was able to adapt my game and change a few things.

“I think Polly Farmer did it a while ago after he did his knee. He used to jump a fair bit and then he learnt to use his body. I was able to learn some of those tips last year.

“Last time I was on crutches probably for six to eight weeks longer than this time. I wasn’t able to put any pressure or weight through my legs for about 12 to 16 weeks.

“This time I did six weeks and I was back walking and jogging pretty quickly.”

Naitanui wants to be back mid-season before the club’s bye and confirmed Round 10 as a target date.

“I will have a better idea when I am back in full training in a couple of weeks,” he said.

“It is a bit of strengthening stuff with jumping and landing properly.

“They manage our loads, the strength and conditioning coaches, on how much jumping you do on the hard surfaces. It is less stress on the body jumping on the spring floor. It is almost like being on a trampoline.”