MANCHESTER United are not world class anymore, and Jose Mourinho admits it.

The Red Devils were outplayed on their own patch by Juventus in the Champions League on Wednesday morning and managed an embarrassing 30 per cent possession in the opening half.

While a modest score line of 1-0 suggests Mourinho’s side weren’t blown off the park by the seven-time Italian champions, it was fairly unanimous that a gulf in class was evident at Old Trafford.

United legend Rio Ferdinand labelled the match “men against boys”, Paul Scholes said were “a class above” while the manager himself said his team’s opposition “were at a different level of quality, stability, experience and know-how.”

It was United fourth loss in their past 13 matches at Old Trafford – that’s the same amount they managed in the previous 81.

And according to Ferdinand, there’s one lingering question that must dictate the way forward for England’s most successful club.

“I think the powers that be, the biggest question for them is ‘can this man change this team around? Can he change the fortunes of this club around?,” Ferdinand said on BT Sport.

Deemed a club in crisis by many amid rumours of discontent within the dressing room, tenth-placed United appear to be at a crossroads. Mourinho’s position at the helm can only endure so many disappointing results before the reins are snatched.

But should the board pull the trigger on one of world football’s most credentialed tacticians? And if so, when?

That very question was posed to the BT Sport panel after the Juventus loss, and the response was telling.

A noticeable hesitation from three long-term United servants — Ferdinand, Scholes and Owen Hargreaves — reflected the trepidation and uncertainty that continues to plague the club.

Mourinho’s track record plants the idea that he can be the man to turn the club around, as Scholes pointed out.

“No I wouldn’t (sack Mourinho),” he said.

“Because he’s got a great record, he’s been at big clubs, won massive trophies. He’s done it in the first year here, it’s been a struggle since then but I think he has the experience to turn it around.

“I think this last couple of weeks he’s been a little bit different. His attitude has been a little bit better towards players but United are still tenth in the league. This game doesn’t really matter today; they’re still going to qualify from the group.”

Two Champions League titles, one Europa League, three Premier Leagues, three La Ligas, two Serie As – the Special One can get away with calling himself that for a good reason. He’s a proven winner.

But historically, his tried strategies have become stale in what has become known as “third season syndrome.”

The axe continues to hover at Old Trafford, but perhaps the manager isn’t entirely to blame for the mess that has enveloped the club.

“I think about the two centre-backs, Bonucci and Chiellini, they were under no pressure today at any point at Old Trafford, that’s unheard of,” former United star Hargreaves told BT Sport.

“It’s not just about Mourinho, it’s about everyone. It’s the whole collective in terms of recruitment there’s an issue.

“I don’t think Mourinho is the only problem at Man United. I think recruitment is an issue, the way they’re playing is an issue, the players are not playing the way they can and the intensity is just not there.”

United have won just one of their past seven games in all competitions, and on the park things just aren’t clicking. Romelu Lukaku is supposed to be the focal point of their attack, but the big Belgian hasn’t scored in his last eight games at club level.

Contrastingly, he’s netted five times in his most recent four games at international level.

Marcus Rashford hasn’t scored in five games for United, while the young attacker has boasts three goals in his last four outings for England – two of which came against Spain.

The Red Devils have conceded more goals than they’ve scored in the Premier League this season; just four teams have let in more.

And so Mourinho faces the uphill task of turning this team around.

“The game against Chelsea (2-2 Premier League draw), you sit there and go the second half tells you he’s got a chance of doing it. So I’m sitting here in hope,” Ferdinand said.

As United suffered yet another Champions League this morning, neighbours Manchester City showcased their devastating attack in a 3-0 win away at Shakhtar Donetsk. The two sides meet on November 12 in a clash that could spell disaster for Mourinho.

Should that trip across town to the Etihad Stadium — which follows another clash against Juventus in Turin — yield a shellacking, it could be the catalyst for action.