Former Liverpool defender Phil Thompson says Mohamed Salah 'has been a revelation' for the Anfield outfit.

Salah came off the bench to net a brace in the Reds’ 3-0 victory over Stoke City in Wednesday’s English top-flight outing which earned Jurgen Klopp’s men their seventh league win.

The forward has registered 17 goals in all competitions this term, thus, surpassing his performance at Chelsea, where he scored just four times in his 27 appearances.

And Thompson who initially doubted the 25-year-old's qualities is now convinced after strings of match-winning displays.

"He's been a revelation. Dare I say it when we were signing him in the summer I was thinking, 'I've seen this player at Chelsea and he didn't pull up any trees for Chelsea',” Thompson told Premier League Daily.

"He didn't have many games and I think he scored two goals in about 13 matches and I thought, he didn't even look a player.

"When he was at Roma, I looked at the stats of the player and thought, 'it's not just the goals he scores but the assists that he made."

Thompson compared Salah to Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne - who has also established himself in the league after going through a similar fate at Stamford Bridge.

"That was one of the big things for Kevin De Bruyne when he went to Wolfsburg. He scored quite a few goals there but his assists were quite incredible and by far the best in Germany. That made me think, 'he's got something in his locker,” he continued.

"That's what I was looking for with Mo Salah before he came to Liverpool. I thought, 'if he can reproduce that he's got to have something in him to unlock defences', which is what Liverpool need against packed defences and he has been an absolute star."