Newcastle star Mitchell Pearce has revealed he made a phone call to David Klemmer from Bali in a bid to lure the powerhouse prop to the Knights in 2019.

Klemmer’s exit from Canterbury during the pre-season appears inevitable with Channel 9 reporting the Australia Test star’s management will meet with the Bulldogs on Wednesday in what could signal the end of his time at the club.

The Knights are ready to swoop with a multimillion-dollar deal and even got their halfback to play the roll of recruiter during negotiations.

“I had a chat to him when I was in Bali, the club got me to give him a ring,” Pearce told Channel 9.
“I’ve got a good relationship with him and I’ve always had a lot of respect for him so I hope it works itself out.”

Pearce said Klemmer would fit in seamlessly at the Knights.

“I’ve got all my fingers crossed,” he said.

“I really love ‘Klem’ as a bloke and I think he’d be so perfect for this team.

“I’m sure the town with embrace him, everyone loves a hard man up front that leads your pack.”

With the Bulldogs resigned to losing Klemmer, Channel 9 and The Australian’s Brent Read also report the club have zeroed in on Sydney Roosters prop Dylan Napa as a potential replacement.

Napa still has one year remaining on his Tricolours contract and would need a release in order to switch club.

The Bulldogs have reportedly tabled an offer of around $600,000 per season to Napa.

“I would be shocked if he doesn’t take it,” Read told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.