Former Australia pace ace Mitchell Johnson has declared his coaching ambitions after working with the country’s next generation of stars at the Under-19 Male National Championships in Adelaide.

Johnson, the fifth-highest wicket-taker for Australia in Test history, spent the first two rounds of the tournament with the Cricket Australia XI on Monday and Tuesday.

He worked alongside CA XI coach Ryan Harris and his assistant Chris Rogers – who are both High Performance coaches at CA – and said he enjoyed the experience.

Johnson retired from all forms of professional cricket in August, paving the way for him to explore his passion for coaching.

The 37-year-old said he was “definitely” keen to pursue a potential career in coaching after a decorated career at international level, during which he took 580 wickets across the three formats.

"It’s something I’ve thought about for a couple of years," Johnson said.

"Now that I’ve fully finished playing cricket, it’s something I can probably focus on a bit more now, and I guess it’s just putting a plan in place.

"I’ll be in contact with (Head Coach of the National Performance Program) Troy Cooley at CA and working with those guys and trying to get a plan in place and trying to get as much coaching under my belt because I don’t know if I’m going to be a good coach or not.

"I know I’ve got a lot of information; I know I’ve been through a lot through my career … but it’s about learning how to be a coach now.

"To be able to talk and get your message across to young kids, I think that’s really important.

"I see myself wanting to help the game, wanting to get it better because I love the game. So if I can help in some way and become a coach and do it well, that would be great."

The CA XI features players from across Australia, who were selected following strong performances at the Under-17 Male National Championships.

Johnson featured in the tournament when he was coming through the ranks and said the future is in good hands.

"Coming out and seeing these guys the last couple of days, it reminds me of what it was like when I played," he said.

"Definitely got a lot of skill on display here and you can see the talent and what Australian cricket have been trying to do with these young guys to get them better.

"This tournament’s a great tournament and I think it’s added to it having the CA XI. I think it gives the other teams something to fight for as well, thinking ‘these CA XI guys are the next of generation, the next best thing, the next guys to go on and play World Cups’ and things like that.

"It pushes the other states as well, so I think it’s a really well-run tournament."

The championships started on December 3 and will finish on December 13, with the final to be held at Karen Rolton Oval.

Johnson predicted Australia would prevail 2-1 in the upcoming Domain Test series against India.