Michael Vick was in prison when the Falcons made a franchise-altering move: selecting Matt Ryan with the third overall pick in the 2008 draft.

That meant the team had decided to move forward without Vick, the once-electrifying quarterback who received a nine-year, $130 million contract extension just a few years earlier. Of course, the team was forced into that decision after Vick went to prison for running an illegal dog-fighting ring.

MORE:

"When they drafted Matt when I was in prison, I was a little shocked. Stunned. A little bitter. A little salty," Vick told SI. "But I was able to get over it quick because I understood the circumstances.

"I found out through the draft watching it. I walked upstairs late when they were watching the draft and somebody was like, ‘You know who the Atlanta Falcons drafted?’ I was like who? They said Matt Ryan. And you know there was a lot of talk about them selecting a quarterback, and you never know what’s going to happen until you see it actually happen. When they did, I was a little stunned. I was like I’ll be playing for another team if given the opportunity."

Vick did end up playing for another team when the Eagles gave him a contract. As a member of the Eagles, Vick went to Atlanta and was booed by the crowd. But as the years have passed, and now that he's done with football, the fans have welcomed him back.

He was a guest at the Georgia Dome for the final game of the regular season, and . He's now a fan of his former team, and will be rooting them on in Super Bowl 51 against the Patriots.