WAYNE Bennett is out the door after 2019, and one premiership-winning coach has set his sights squarely on the vacant post.

Michael Maguire, the current head coach of the New Zealand Kiwis, told Pete Badel from the Courier Mail that he would be willing to enter into negotiations if the Broncos hierarchy was to sound him out.

“I’ve got some breaking news here ‘Shirvo’ on NRL Tonight. I spoke to Michael Maguire the former Souths coach yesterday and he’s confirmed to me that he’s interested in the Broncos position to replace Wayne Bennett,” Badel said on Thursday.

“Of course at this stage there’s no formal contract with Maguire but he’s a man in demand. He’s got interest from Manly and now I’m hearing that the Broncos could be on his radar.”

Badel said Maguire would be the perfect fit at Red Hill as one of the few available clipboard-holders with the runs on the board.

“Now he delivered Souths a premiership in 2014 and Brisbane are looking for someone to crack their premiership drought, the longest in their history,” he continued.

“Michael Maguire’s got the gravitas, he’s got the profile, the pedigree.

“He says if Brisbane are interested in him he’s prepared to talk, so if I’m Paul White the CEO I’d be getting on the phone to Michael Maguire.”