Arsenal coach Unai Emery has called on Mesut Ozil to be more of a scoring threat going forward, as the Spaniard continues to search for the best way to use the German playmaker.

Ozil has become a bit of a conundrum for Emery after the club's highest-paid player got off to a slow start to the season, which was also interrupted by an illness that fuelled rumours of a rift between the two.

Ozil has yet to register a goal or assist in the three games he has played, and was substituted in two of them. But Emery is hoping the extra rest and training sessions during the international break -- the first since Ozil announced his retirement from Germany -- will help the star midfielder find his feet again.

And he made it clear he wants to see more from Ozil going forward.

"I want to find with him the possibility to do the best, to make decisive passes, to do more near and in the box to score," Emery said ahead of Saturday's trip to Newcastle.

"Also I think he is working for the team to help us with his quality. But he is feeling like I am feeling. He can improve, he can do more. In this process, we will work, we will help him, give him the possibility on the pitch to be together, to find his qualities for us."

Ozil has looked slightly out of place when Emery has deployed him on the right wing rather his normal central role as a No. 10, but Emery reiterated that the German is happy switching between the two.

"In his career, he played like a No. 10 and on the right coming in with his quality," Emery said. "Here he has played both. He is very convinced about that in my conversations with him about it. I usually give players the position they feel the best. [For] Mesut it is these two positions."