MELBOURNE United says the pre-season double-header against Sydney Kings is as much about ironing out weaknesses as it is measuring up to Andrew Bogut’s super team.

The NBL champions United will get the first real look at the star-studded Kings on Thursday night in Bendigo, with game two of the pre-season series recruit at the State Basketball Centre on Saturday.

The Kings couldn’t have been more impressive — both on and off the floor — this off-season, unbeaten after four games, with Bogut, Jerome Randle and Daniel Kickert getting in valuable court-time.

But United recruit Dan Trist, the frontrunner to replace championship-winner Tai Wesley in United coach Dean Vickerman’s starting five, welcomed the pre-season pressure test.

“You couldn’t really find a better match up for us just because it gives you a chance to go against NBA guys like Bogut and guys that have been successful at every level, like Randle,” Trist said.

“They’re going to have all their imports, a full roster, we’ll be playing with just our local guys and I think we can really go out there and play a good game.”

The 206cm power forward Trist has big shoes to fill replacing aggressor Wesley, who had an impact with and without the ball last season especially in the paint.

A solid rebounder and college standout Trist, who plied his trade in Europe before returning to Australia this year, should have no problems measuring up in the physicality department.

“He (Wesley) played a lot of minutes last year so there are minutes available in that four position,” Trist said.

“I love the physicality of the game and that’s definitely something I do well, bang around down low and hit some bodies, be physical, I think I can definitely bring that to the team.”

United import Josh Boone will be a game-time decision after landing in Melbourne this week.