Melbourne star Max Gawn has revealed West Australian police joked about tasering him on the morning of the preliminary final defeat to West Coast last season.

The All-Australian ruckman was part of a Demons side that stormed into the penultimate week of the finals, only to get blown away by the rampant Eagles in the first half at Optus Stadium.

“I loved the trip to Perth, apart from the two hours (on game day),” Gawn told RSN.

“I got to play in a prelim interstate in a one-eyed state.

“Breakfast was one of the more interesting things I’ve had.

“I went out to a café in the suburbs of Perth and the cops were joking about tasering me while I was ordering my coffee.”

It wasn’t Gawn’s only run-in with diehard WA footy fans before the Dees’ embarrassing 66-point defeat.

“It was a bizarre weekend,” he continued.

“The night before at dinner and walking around the CBD of Perth there were West Coast supporters everywhere.

“Hopefully we play Melbourne prelims if we get into them from now, but that was something that I’ll definitely remember.”

West Coast, of course, went on to secure their fourth premiership by beating Collingwood in one of the most epic grand finals in AFL history.

Gawn said Melbourne had been able to move on from their preliminary final nightmare and were prepared for another crack at ending their long flag drought, which dates back to 1964.

“I thought the coaches had a really good balance in how they sent us off into the off-season.

“We were able to forget about it during the off-season rather than think about it the whole off-season.

“You need some sort of closure there. They (our coaches) managed to do that, which was good.”

Melbourne open their 2019 premiership assault against Port Adelaide at the MCG on Saturday.