LIAM Duggan tried his best to stay in the moment but admits he couldn’t help take in the fact he would play in his first AFL grand final as the crowd chanted “MCG” late in their 66-point preliminary final win over Melbourne yesterday.

The 21-year-old Victorian had a promising debut season in 2015 when West Coast last made the grand final, but a knee injury ended his year early.

Now Duggan, who had 19 disposals against the Demons, is a solid member of the Eagles’ defensive set up, playing 23 games in 2018.

“We got off to a flying start and the best part about the game was that we didn’t drop that off,” Duggan said. “We didn’t really let them get back into the game and play the way they wanted to play.

“The boys have had a week off and are feeling really good and we were pretty eager to get out there. It’s always got to be a four-quarter effort because in finals you just never know what’s going to happen.

“Speaking to Tommy Cole it was hard as we kicked a few late to not think ahead that little bit. You’ve got to stay in the moment obviously but there was a couple of times out there where we were probably far enough apart where it was just like: ‘Geez, this is happening’. The crowd started chanting MCG, I think that’s what I made out, which was awesome so it was a pretty good feeling.

“It’s pretty amazing. It’s obviously a great spot to be in. We celebrate this win but I think the boys are a mature group. Although we loved the win out there, there was still a sense of urgency for next week and knowing we’ve still got a big one to go.”

Duggan said they would have low-key celebrations last night.

He said they didn’t mind flying under the radar as underdogs against Collingwood.

“It’s business as usual because it’s got to be. If we bring the effort and intensity like we did, that will give us the best chance of winning.”