The match against Melbourne Stars on Friday will be Brendon McCullum's last BBL appearance © Getty

Brendon McCullum, the former New Zealand captain, has announced that his participation in the ongoing Big Bash League will be his last in the tournament as he looks to wrap up his playing career and transition into a coaching role.

McCullum, who is part of the Brisbane Heat set up, informed his team-mates about his decision on Sunday night following his team's six-wicket victory over Adelaide Strikers in which he scored a 39-ball 51. The Heat's match against Melbourne Stars on Friday (February 8) will be McCullum's final BBL appearance at The Gabba. Currently with 11 points and a game in hand, the Heat are placed fifth on the points table and need a few results to go their way in order to make it to the semifinals.

Unsold in the IPL auction, Mccullum will be participating in other T20 leagues this year before taking up other responsibilities. "I will continue to play T20 cricket in 2019 in various competitions around the world and will then look to transition into a coaching career," McCullum said in a statement. "The prospect of being able to transfer the skills, experience and leadership I have been lucky enough to bank over my long T20 and also international career into coaching is very exciting."

A foundation signing for the Heat in 2011, McCullum has been a regular member of the team since his retirement in 2016. He has played 34 matches for the Heat till date, scoring 920 runs with nine half-centuries, and has also led the team in two seasons.

"I have absolutely loved playing for the Heat. The fans have been amazing with their support and I have enjoyed seeing the pleasure they get from coming to our matches and having fun," McCullum said. "I've had a great time playing with my teammates, and it was a privilege to captain them. Coming into Brisbane each year before the start of the competition was always a highlight.

"Being a part of the BBL has been a special part of my career. Having been there at the start, and then seeing it grow and evolve into one of the best T20 competitions in the world has been great to be part of. I think the BBL will get stronger and better from here too as everyone becomes more comfortable with the format and the clubs continue to be bold in their planning and preparations," he added.