"When Maxi can come in and put the finishing touches on like he does, for me it's the perfect position." © AFP

There has been a lot of hullabaloo over Glen Maxwell batting as low as No.7, but in the aftermath of his aggressive 37-ball 48 in the second ODI in Adelaide, Australian coach Justin Langer has reiterated his belief that the batting position is the "perfect position" for the all-rounder.

"Maxy will be a very important part of our team if we're to win the World Cup," Langer said after Australia's six-wicket loss in Adelaide on Tuesday (January 15). "I honestly think, despite the debate, that [No. 7] is his best spot in our team for us at the moment and we'll flick him in (earlier) every now and then when we need a little cameo."

Langer conceded that Australia have been trying different things with regards to batting positions over the last few months, and considered Maxwell's success lower down the order as something of a start.

"We haven't had the success we'd like to and we're trying different things," he said. "And for me, Maxi, he's probably the best fielder in the world, we love it, it's contagious his energy. He has been captain of the (Melbourne) Stars, he has got good leadership qualities as well. So if he can come in and put the finishing touches on like he does, it's always a nervous time for an opposition (when) you still know you you have got a Glenn Maxwell or a Mike Hussey coming in down at seven.

"I remember the days when Michael Clarke used to bat seven and Michael Hussey used to bat seven," Langer said. "I used to muck around with Huss saying, 'mate, you have got the best job in the world, you never bat, you get paid a fortune but you never bat because the team is going so well. But when Maxi can come in and put the finishing touches on like he does, for me it's the perfect position."

Langer also said that his inexperienced team will learn a lot from the defeat in the second ODI, and hailed the performances of Virat Kohli and MS Dhoni, the latter returning to form with a half-century.

"It's incredible experience for our team to play against India. To watch Virat and then MS do what he did at the end, it's just a brilliant tutorial for our young batters. Class always comes to the top, so we must respect that. The way that Virat and MS batted today - you hate losing, but when you see that it's amazing and it's why they're such great players," Langer said. "We'll gain great experience from it, and in big tournaments like the World Cup (starting in the UK next June), I like to see our guys under pressure like they were tonight.

"We'll be much better for the experience, and it's still one-all in the series so that means it's alive and well."

Shaun Marsh scored his seventh ODI hundred and Langer was all praise for him, and said how he's a big part of Australia's World Cup plan, even at 35. He also defended Aaron Finch's bad form at the top, and said how Australia's ODI captain will find a way around adjusting his game for the different formats, now that he's playing all of them. "He's turning into a great one-day international player," Langer said of Marsh. "I'm also really proud of the way (he's responded) after not being selected for the next Test series against Sri Lanka. With that pressure, a lot of guys can shrivel up, but he hasn't, he's stood tall. He's working really hard, he's had a couple of good innings now. I'm really proud of Shaun, he'll be a big part of our World Cup campaign.

"There's not a lot of players who play all three forms of the game now," Langer said of Finch. "This is brand new territory for him. He's playing all three forms of the game, he's also captain of the white ball teams, playing Test cricket. He won't be far off. When he gets going, he scores hundreds. He's working so hard on it, he just needs a few breaks. Every now and then you need a little break, and he'll be away again."