WHEN Matt Prior runs out at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night, he’ll become the seventh oldest player to make his State of Origin debut.

The 31-year-old prop has been announced as Reagan Campbell-Gillard’s replacement in the NSW side for Origin II as the Blues look to seal a series victory in front of a home crowd.

“I’m really excited for a 31-year-old bloke, picked to play his first game. He won’t let anyone down,” NSW coach Brad Fittler said.

So who are the six elder players above of Prior?

Here’s the list, courtesy of Fox Sports Lab:

1980, Game 1: Arthur Beetson (Qld), 35 yrs 169 days

1998, Game 3: Tony Butterfield (NSW), 32 yrs, 135 days

1982, Game 1: Max Krilich (NSW), 31 yrs, 219 days

2003, Game 2: Scott Sattler (Qld), 31 yrs, 194 days

2005, Game 3, Danny Nutley (Qld), 31 yrs, 152 days

2007, Game 3: Hazem El Masri (NSW), 31 yrs, 94 days

2018, Game 2: Matt Prior (NSW), 31 yrs, 28 days (age on game day)

Out of those, Krilich was the only player to play more than one Origin game.

“I’ve never actually just given up on it, especially over the last few years I’ve put it on my goal list and it’s something I’ve been working towards,” Prior said on Tuesday.

“I’ve been trying to tick every box that I can and doing all the extras and just praying one day I’d get a chance.”

Asked if he’ll get nervous running out in front of 85,000 people, the two-time grand final winner said he’s generally a pretty cool customer.

“I don’t really get that nervous, I just try not to think about it too much,” Prior responded.

“I guess it’s just one of those things you try and block out as much as you can, and just try to think about the little things, the things that you can control like doing my job and the things I do well.”