SOCCEROOS No.1 Mat Ryan came to his side’s rescue with a brilliant late save against Manchester United.

Meanwhile, another top Aussie missed a huge clash for a very good reason while two of Australia’s best World Cup performers are waiting in the wings for game time.

RYAN COMES TO THE RESCUE
Brighton and Hove Albion stunned Manchester United, winning 3-2 in a thrilling encounter.

The Seagulll’s Aussie shotstopper Mat Ryan was heavily involved, coming to the rescue in the 75th minute to parry a fizzing Paul Pogba shot past the post.

His distribution from the back was top class again, with United chasing shadows in Brighton’s half.

The Shoreham Herald’s Steve Bailey gave Ryan an 8 out of 10.
“Beaten by Lukaku’s close-range header and Paul Pogba’s injury-time penalty. Brilliant save in the second half to deny Pogba.” The Mirrors John Cross, meanwhile, rated his performance a 7.
“Did everything calmly and efficiently, made a smart save from Pogba. Solid,” he wrote.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton told local newspaper The Argus he was “very proud of the performance”

“Particularly the reaction from last week and the knowledge that, with the quality United have got, if you allow them to play their game they can hurt you,” he said.

MOOY MISSES GAME FOR NEW ARRIVAL
Huddersield Town badly missed their midfield maestro Aaron Mooy in a 6-1 loss to Manchester City — but he was missing for a very good reason.

Mooy’s wife Nicola went into labour before the game and he later confirmed the birth of his son Max.

“There are some things that are more important than football and that is the case for (Aaron Mooy) today,” manager David Wagner said.

ROGIC SCORES CRACKER AS ARZANI WATCHES ON
Celtic got back on track after a difficult week as Brendan Rodgers’ side clinched a 3-1 win against Partick Thistle in the last 16 of the Scottish League Cup, with Socceroo Tom Rogic bagging a goal.

Rodgers’ men lost 1-0 at Hearts in the Scottish Premiership last Sunday before crashing out of the Champions League qualifiers on Tuesday after a 3-2 aggregate defeat to AEK Athens.

It was essential for Celtic to lift the gloom, and Rogic’s goal capped off a brilliant performance for the Hoops, earning him the man of the match award.

The Irish Times hailed Rogic and Moussa Dembele as the players who “steadied the ship”.

“The elegant Rogic drove the Parkhead men forward.”

The 25-year-old Socceroo also received plaudits from The Sun’s Robert Grieve, who gave the midfielder a 7/10 for his performance.

“Rogic for one could have had a first-half hat-trick.

“Aussie ace Rogic caused the Jags all sorts of problems bursting forward from midfield.

“His touch and awareness was sensational and a joy to watch. He just wasn’t clinical enough.”

Meanwhile, readceltic.com gave Rogic a match-high 8/10.

The club’s other Aussie import, Daniel Arzani, is yet to feature for the Hoops after signing on a two-year loan from Manchester City.

The 19-year-old will be gutted not to be playing European football this year, but is eager to make an impression in Glasgow.

“Celtic is a massive club with a great history and one of the best followings in the world, so I’m looking forward to getting started,” Arzani told Celtic’s website.

“The idea was to come to Celtic and work with Brendan Rodgers, and it was something I was very interested in doing, and when it became a reality, I was very excited.

“I’ve had a couple of chats with the manager, more about when I’m coming and when I’ll get started, but I’ll have more chats with him after I settle into the club.”

LUONGO’S QPR THUMPED
Massimo Luongo’s Queens Park Rangers were thrashed 7-1 by West Bromwich Albion and they now sit rock bottom of the Championship.

Luongo and his colleagues have struggled to get off the mark this season, and the 7-1 drubbing at the hands of the Baggies certainly won’t lift any spirits.

Westlondonsport.com criticised Luongo for being “sloppy in possession and completely unable to influence the game in a one-sided second half.”

SAINSBURY DOESN’T FEATURE IN PSV WIN
New recruit Trent Sainsbury didn’t feature as PSV Eindhoven beat Fortuna Sittard 2-1 in their second game of the Eredivisie season.

Mark van Bommel’s side came out on top thanks to a 90th minute winner from Dante Rigo, but the Dutchman didn’t throw his new Socceroo signing into the mix.

Sainsbury, who is very familiar with ex-Socceroos assistant van Bommel, was named on the bench after signing from Jiangsu Suning in early August.

ROOS STARS IN CHAMPIONSHIP ACTION
James Meredith’s Millwall secured a 2-1 upset win over Frank Lampard’s Derby County.

The Lions produced one of the standout results in English football’s second tier, knocking off the highly-fancied Rams to sit 14th in the EFL Championship.

Up in the Midlands, Mile Jedinak’s Aston Villa drew 1-1 with 10-man Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

The Socceroos captain slotted neatly into the defence alongside James Chester, but couldn’t stop Trevoh Chalobah from equalising on the 36th minute.

Jackson Irvine returned to Hull’s starting eleven, but didn’t stop the Tigers from suffering a 1-0 defeat at the hands Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.

Both Bailey Wright and Ryan Williams suffered defeats too, with Wright’s Bristol City going down 2-0 to Middlesbrough and Williams’ Rotherham suffering a 2-0 loss to Leeds United.

HARRY KEWELL’S CRAWLEY BEATEN
Former Socceroos and Premier League star Harry Kewell couldn’t guide Crawley Town to victory over Port Vale in League 2 over the weekend.

Kewell led the club to a 14th place finish last season, and currently sits 19th with 1 win and 2 defeats.

Now in his second season as coach, the Aussie will hope to inject his vast experience into the Sussex-based club.