Allrounder Mitch Marsh has failed to make an impression with the bat for Western Australia who have struggled to 5-170 at stumps on day two of their JLT Sheffield Shield clash with Victoria.

In his first innings since being dropped for the Test series against India, Marsh made a tentative 21 before he was caught behind off the bowling of leading Shield wicket-taker Scott Boland.

In reply to Victoria's first innings of 9(dec)-424, the Warriors' top order crumbled in the face of some fiery pace bowling by Chris Tremain, James Pattinson and Boland, who was the pick with 3-39 from 14 overs.

WA trail the top-of-the-table Vics by 254 runs going into day three at the MCG, with Ashton Turner and Will Bosisto to resume on 38 and 22 respectively.

With Peter Handscomb preferred in Australia's middle order, Marsh's bid for a recall is off to a bad start.

The WA skipper received a life on six when Cameron White was unable to take a sharp chance at second slip off Pattinson and never really appeared settled.

"He probably wasn't as fluent as I've seen him so far this year," WA coach Adam Voges said.

"He's got a lot on his plate, I understand that, but he's working hard behind the scenes.

"He carries a big load - he's our captain, he bowls, he bats in our top four.

"That wasn't as fluent as I've seen him but I still think he's going ok."

Victoria declared shortly after lunch on Saturday, with centuries to Nic Maddinson and White helping them to the commanding position.

Maddinson's stunning debut innings for the Vics ended on 162 and included 21 fours and two sixes.

Having recorded his 22nd first-class century, White was dismissed for 119 when Hilton Cartwright took an outstanding catch at mid-off from the bowling of David Moody.

Jhye Richardson (2-58 from 26 overs, nine maidens) and Moody (3-72 from 27 overs, five maidens) were the pick of the WA bowlers, while Marsh took 1-82 from 18 overs.

Glenn Maxwell batted impressively on Friday, coming in up the order at No.4, but was desperately unlucky to depart, run out on 57, after a spilled return catch deflected onto the stumps at the non-striker's end.

Victoria XI: Travis Dean (c), Nic Maddinson, Will Pucovski, Glenn Maxwell, Cameron White, Matt Short, Sam Harper, James Pattinson, Scott Boland, Jon Holland, Chris Tremain.

Western Australia XI: Mitchell Marsh (c), Jonathan Wells, D'Arcy Short, Hilton Cartwright, Marcus Stoinis, William Bosisto, Ashton Turner, Josh Inglis (wk), Jhye Richardson, Matthew Kelly, David Moody