FOX Football’s Mark Bosnich has launched an impassioned plea for action to suspend or abolish the VAR after the remarkable drama that engulfed the Sydney derby.

Speaking on the post-game show, the former Socceroo suggested the A-League was in serious danger of “going under” if this controversial trend continues.

The Sydney derby was the latest match to be marred by VAR drama — just a week after a controversial penalty awarded to Bruno Fornaroli helped to decide the Melbourne derby.

The drama began when Roly Bonevacia’s goal was chalked off by the VAR as Jaushua Sotirio was deemed to have been ruled offside, resulting in Wanderers head coach Markus Babbel to throw his jacket and engage in a heated discourse with the fourth official over the ruling.

Referee Chris Beath then ran over and showed Babbel a straight red card, forcing the German to watch the rest of the game from the grandstand at the SCG.

The use of the technology caused Bosnich to launch in an all-time rant about the VAR.

“We have got to suspend it immediately, in my opinion.” Bosnich said. “It’s becoming such a distraction. Such a farce. Such a talking point that is it is turning people off the game. I repeat: it’s turning people off the game.

“If something is not done about it, and I mean immediately, three or four years ago there was a ridiculous banning order put in place for the fans. The fans stood up, active fans, and didn’t go to the games. If this is not rectified and suspended immediately — or like (fellow pundit) Archie (Thompson) said, binned altogether — you will have 95 per cent of all your fans not going and not watching (games).

“You will not have a game and this is all our livelihoods but the most important thing of all of this — like the banning process — is that it means no fans, no game. All right.

“They are the number ones. If they do not like something, like they’re not liking this, in their droves, and you stand back and say ‘bad luck’ to them, they’re going to walk away.

“This is not Europe where it’s the number one game. It’s probably the number four game, equal with rugby union, I would say.

“People have got other choices and they’re spending so much money, some of these parents on their kids and we’re asking them to pay money to support A-League clubs and pay money for Fox Sports subscriptions — and they have to put up with this?

“It’s got to stop and it’s got to stop now. I’m telling you now this has gone beyond tipping point. You are experimenting with people’s livelihoods and players’ livelihoods.”