Sri Lanka paceman Lasith Malinga isn't expecting to play a part in next year's World Cup, but the veteran will be ready if given the opportunity.

Malinga turned back the clock with a vintage performance for his country on Saturday, with the 35-year-old showing his trademark variety and pace while picking up figures of 5-44 during Sri Lanka's ODI loss to England in Dambulla.

It was the kind of spell that Malinga has produced on many occasions in the past, as the wily veteran dismissed Jason Roy for a duck before coming back on late in England's innings to get rid of Eoin Morgan, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes and Liam Dawson.

But despite his efforts, Malinga remains unsure whether he will be selected to represent Sri Lanka and make a fourth World Cup appearance in England in 2019.

"I feel that if I get the chance to play the World Cup, I will – it will be my last World Cup," Malinga told reporters.

"I'm not expecting to get the chance, given the kinds of things that have happened to me over the recent past. But I will take it if it is given."

Malinga only just returned to Sri Lanka's one-day side, with the right-armer winning a reprieve for the recent Asia Cup that occurred shortly before the controversial departure of then captain Angelo Mathews.

While on a 12-month exodus from the Sri Lanka side, Malinga took part in a domestic Twenty20 tournament and then impressed during the Global T20 Canada league.

"I'm just a player. My only job is to play when I get the chance. When I was out of the team, I went and played in Canada. I also played the district competition and got the highest wickets," Malinga said.

"Thanks to those performances I got another chance at this level. Because I'm nearing the end of my career I'm motivated to get wickets.

England currently leads Sri Lanka 1-0 in the five-game ODI series, with the first match washed out following torrential rain.

Sri Lanka still have three more games in the series to find their best form and Malinga knows his team has to play much better if they want to remain competitive.

"England at the moment is the much better team. The World No.1 team. They have a good batting line-up," he said.

"But whoever we are playing against, we are just trying to play to our strengths.

"As an Asian country, we have to use our strength, get the pace down or something like that, the variations are very important to play the big sides.

The third match in the series will be played in Pallekele on Wednesday.