Jayed maiden ODI 5-fer helped Bangladesh beat Ireland by 6 wickets in the tri-series © AFP

Abu Jayed's surprise World Cup inclusion wasn't as talked about as Taskin Ahmed's snub, despite Jayed being an uncapped player in One-Day cricket then. It was Taskin who hogged all the attention, having made an emotional public appearance soon after he missed out on a World Cup berth.

Taskin, recovering from an ankle injury, could not hold back his tears when asked about his non-selection, which unfortunately made Jayed a bit of an anti-hero. The inclusion of Taskin in the Ireland-bound team at the last minute only made for sensationalism, with the matters getting further more complicated after Taskin's three-wicket haul in the warm-up match. Jayed, on the other hand, had a cold ODI debut.

However, it did not take long for Jayed to make his presence felt. The 25-year-old picked his maiden five-wicket haul in only his second game, thus helping his side to reach the tri-series final with a convincing six-wicket win Ireland at Dublin on Wednesday.

It was a short-term payback of the faith the selectors had placed in him. More importantly, he's all but assured of a place in the final World Cup squad, which has to be announced by May 23.

''There were a lot of talk going around [in the social media]. Mashrafe bhai just told me that if you can handle the pressure of social media, than stay or else quit,'' Jayed told reporters. "I felt pressure in my debut match but today there was no pressure.

''Mashrafe bhai told me to bowl my heart out [against Ireland], just the way I bowled in the Dhaka Premier League or in the Bangladesh Premier League. He asked me to bowl without having any kind of doubt or fear and I just tried to follow his instruction."

Jayed said that he is well aware of the long journey ahead, and that he has to conjure up such performances consistently if he's to become a permanent fixture the ODI set-up, similar to how he has established himself in the Tests.

"Of course it feels good but it was unexpected at first," Jayed said on the five-wicket haul. "I just wanted to pick up at least one wicket and thought two wickets will be good enough.

"Certainly I have gained confidence [through this performance] but I know I still have a long way to go still. My mother always remains tensed about me because I am the youngest child of the family. As she is always worried about me I am dedicating my maiden five-wicket haul to her,'' he concluded.