THIS is a match “Maid Of Heaven”.

Rachel King, Sydney’s champion apprentice last season, rode her first Group 1 winner on Maid Of Heaven in the $500,000 Spring Champion Stakes (2000m) at Royal Randwick Saturday.

Fittingly, King combined with trainer Mark Newnham, who was most responsible in convincing the former English jumps jockey returning to race riding.

To complete the fairytale, Maid Of Heaven was also Newnham’s first major race winner as a trainer.

The two embraced immediately after the race Maid Of Heaven became only the second filly ever to beat the “boys” in the Spring Champion Stakes – just two years after Yankee Rose created racing history.

“It hasn’t sunk in yet, I’m lost for words,’’ King said. “I told Mark my throat is sore from yelling so much.’’

Newnham, a former jockey, only took out a trainer’s licence two years ago.

“I’m still buzzing,’’ Newnham said. “Just that last 50m, I had my heart in my mouth.

“I didn’t know whether she’d get there but the last two strides got us over the line.”

When King dismounted, Newnham was the first to embrace her as the pair celebrated their historic victory.

Maid Of Heaven ($14) came with a strong finish to run down Aramayo ($4.20) near the line to win by a long head with Thinkin’ Big ($3.40 favourite) just over two lengths away third.

“Mark and I thought we were both in with a chance of getting our first Group 1 last weekend (Lanciato ran 11th in the Epsom Handicap) but we managed to do it today,’’ King said.

“After Maid Of Heaven ran so well in the Flight Stakes last week Mark thought she deserved her chance in this race. I picked up the ride on Wednesday and couldn’t of been happier.”

King, 28, had ridden in England but was struggling for opportunities when she came to Sydney for a “working holiday” four years ago. She decided to stay – and the rest is history.

“When I first started work at Gai’s stables, Mark was still there,’’ King said.

“It was Mark who pushed me to start riding over here and have a go. He has never stopped supporting me the whole way through.

“I had my first Group winner for him the (Newcastle) Newmarket on Lanciato and now the first Group 1 - it’s very special.”

Newnham could easily have selected a more established senior jockey for Maid Of Heaven but he has always had confidence in King.

“When Rachel first got here from England there were plenty of people telling her it will be tough to be apprenticed and make it in Sydney,’’ Newnham said. “She has proved them all wrong.”

Maid Of Heaven’s win was also a milestone moment for Newnham, coming almost two years to the day since he trained his first winner.

“When I took out a trainer’s licence, I needed my family to come down and help me muck out the boxes as I didn’t have any staff,’’ Newnham said.

“But we have slowly built up the business and I have some great people working with me now. They deserve to share in this success because they all work so hard.’’

Newnham revealed that Maid Of Heaven’s owners including Arrowfield Stud supremo John Messara backed him when he decided to back her up in the Spring Champion Stakes.

“What encouraged me was her work through the line over the mile last week,’’ Newnham said.

“During the week she couldn’t have eaten any more and she showed me she was ready to back up.

“I knew the 2000m would suit her and the only thing I said to Rachel was get her in the clear from the top of the straight and that will give her her chance.”

Maid Of Heaven only made her race debut in late July and scored her second win from just five starts in the three-year-old classic.

“This is her first preparation so she deserves a break now,’’ Newnham said. “We won’t go to Melbourne, I’ll put her away and set her for the (ATC Australian) Oaks in the autumn.’’

Godolphin’s Aramayo was brilliantly ridden by Tye Angland and looked set to win when he surged past Thinkin’ Big but he hold off the determined Maid Of Heaven.

Thinkin’ Big had to do a bit of work early but he looked to be in control of the race coming to the turn but was outstayed in the straight.