TOM LYNCH has declined to reveal his new club, but manager Paul Connors insists the free agent forward would still be at Gold Coast if the Suns were a successful club.

Speaking at the launch of NAB AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday morning, Lynch was still tight-lipped about whether he would sign with Richmond, Collingwood or Hawthorn for next season and beyond.

"Out of respect to the clubs I've spoken to and to Gold Coast, I can't say who I'm leaning towards at this stage," Lynch said.

"I'd rather tell them officially than broadcast it here.

"There's still quite a few weeks to go until we get to trade and free agency period."

Lynch is widely expected to choose Richmond as his destination.

He said he was excited to get back to his home town, but conceded he and his management "could have done things better" during the free agency process.

Once the 25-year-old headed to Melbourne for season-ending knee surgery in July, Gold Coast asked him to consider his future and let them know as soon as possible.

Shortly afterwards Nathan Buckley revealed publicly that he and Lynch had spoken, drawing an angry reaction from the Suns.

Lynch returned to Queensland to inform the club and his teammates he would not be playing for them next season.

"I felt like my time to leave Gold Coast had come," he said.

"I've got a lot of great friends there and they'll definitely remain intact. There's no worries from my end."

Connors agreed some 'tiny' things could have been handled better during negotiations, but declared, "If Gold Coast play finals, he's captain of that club for 10 years."