"The conversations I've had with both Paul Allott and Glen Chapple about the vision and plans moving forward are so exciting." © Getty

Nottinghamshire's left-arm pacer Luke Wood is all set to move to Lancashire after having signed a three-year contract that starts from next season onward. A product of the Notts youth talent system, Wood hasn't been a regular in the main team and also saw himself being loaned out to Worcestershire and Northamptonshire in recent seasons.

That said, Wood did have his moments with the Notts, mainly in 2017 when he was part of the club's limited-overs double in the Royal London Cup and T20 Blast. Nottinghamshire's Director of Cricket Mick Newell was philosophical in his reaction to Wood's exit.

"It's disappointing to lose Luke, who we were very keen to keep at this club," said Newell. "We offered a contract that was reflective of our desire for him to stay, but there was also interest from Lancashire and he's decided to go and play there.

"When you lose a player, especially one that's come through your system, you hope it's for sound cricketing reasons, and I've no doubt that's the case with Luke.

"Although he's earned his position in our first team - and has been a starter for us more often than not with the red and white ball in recent weeks - sometimes a player feels they'll benefit from the challenge of moving to a new club."

It was just this week that Wood produced a five-wicket haul in the County Championship encounter, sparking discussions about his imminent promise. Apart from being an effective left-armer with the ball, Wood has also been a useful batsman down the order with his hard-hitting nature.

A popular name from his England U19 days, Wood's progress hasn't been as brisk as he would have liked and this move to Lancashire might just be the push he was looking for. Reflecting on his transfer, Wood appeared ecstatic at the development and was full of gratitude for his 'parent' club.

"I am delighted to have signed for Lancashire," Wood said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at Trent Bridge and would like to thank everyone at the club for their fantastic support, but the chance to join Lancashire is one that I couldn't turn down.

"The conversations I've had with both Paul Allott and Glen Chapple about the vision and plans moving forward are so exciting. The ambition of the club is something that really attracted me to Lancashire and it's something I want to be part of.

"Emirates Old Trafford is a great place to play cricket and I look forward to calling it home for at least the next three years. I can't wait to join up with the squad at the end of the season and get stuck in next year."