Manchester United boss urges supporters to get behind the players otherwise playing at Old Trafford could "make it very difficult"

Louis van Gaal has urged disgruntled Manchester United fans to direct their frustrations at him rather than the players, adding that supporters must understand the difficulties of breaking teams down.

Sections of the home support voiced their displeasure at United's lack of attacking play as the hosts eventually claimed a 1-0 win over CSKA Moscow in the Champions League on Tuesday thanks to Wayne Rooney's late header.
It ended a run of three goalless draws, including a League Cup exit on penalties to Middlesbrough, but Van Gaal called on the fans to be more supportive.

"Yes I think supporters have to support the players or they make it difficult for the players to play at Old Trafford," he said.
"Up to now they have been fantastic so I can't complain at the fans. I can only advise the fans to criticise the manager and not players. It's very difficult to play for Manchester Utd with a lot of pressure.

"And when you can taste it in Old Trafford because of all the yelling, it's not good for my players.
"Then it's better to whistle the manager, I can cope with it. I have a lot of experience."