AN Adelaide Year 3 student has dashed to a 10km run time that is 15 seconds faster than the world record time for his age group.

On Sunday, Louis Pietsch, 8, completed the run in 40 minutes and 28 seconds at Santos Stadium at Mile End.

But the time was not official because Louis did not have an electronic starting gate or high-level international officials.

Louis completed the 25 laps around the track 15 seconds faster than the official record holder, Grattan O’Neil from the United States, who set the current world record on November 21, 2015.

Talking to The Advertiser only hours after completing the record-setting run, Louis said he was still sore but happy with his performance.

“I was focused on pacing,” Louis said. “I knew I had to make a certain time per lap.”

Despite lighting up the track, Louis said he had not done a lot of preparation for the run but his parents said he was an avid soccer player and participated in Little Athletics.

Louis used the City to Bay as a trial for the record attempt, running the 6km event in an incredible time of 23 minutes and 43 seconds.

The 2018 City to Bay fun run