After Jorge Lorenzo’s victory in Motegi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP immediately move on to the next stage on the MotoGP™ calendar, the Tissot Australian Grand Prix, where the Spaniard and his colleague Valentino Rossi will continue their battle for second in the 2014 standings.

Rossi looks forward to defending his second place in the championship from his teammate Lorenzo and Repsol Honda rival Dani Pedrosa.

The Doctor’s experience will certainly come in handy during this weekend’s battle. Rossi is one of the most successful riders at the Phillip Island circuit.

Starting in 2001 he had an impressive five year winning streak, followed by four more consecutive podium finishes. In the premier class the nine-time World Champion has won at the Australian track from 2001 until 2005, claimed second place in 2008 and 2009 and scored five third places in 2000, 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2013.

This weekend Rossi is scheduled to become the first rider to reach the milestone of 250 starts in the premier class of Grand Prix racing. Rossi tops the list of riders with most GP starts in the premier class which also includes Alex Barros (245 premier class races), Loris Capirossi (217), Colin Edwards (196) and Nicky Hayden (195).

After a strong victory at Motegi, teammate Lorenzo is also prepared to take on the competition. Phillip Island is the Spaniard’s favourite circuit. He scored two second places in the premier class in 2010 and 2012 before claiming victory last year in unusual circumstances. Following safety concerns the race was reduced to 19 laps and included a mandatory bike change at the ten-lap mark.

Lorenzo holds the record for the fastest lap at the Phillip Island circuit since last year, when he clocked a 1'27.899 around the 4.448km track.

Rossi commented, "We have a second place contest between me, Jorge and Pedrosa and I’m worried because Jorge is so fast. We have to give the maximum. I love Phillip Island and Sepang but three races in a row is always very difficult and a good start is very important. The podium of Japan was another positive result, especially because I have done well throughout the race and was very close to Marquez and Jorge."

"We held a very high pace and my bike was working very well. I really like the Australian GP and I want to ride a good race here, partly because most of my team is Australian. I want to get back on the podium and try to win again. We are working well, I like the circuit, and the Yamaha is going strong, so I think we can do it. I’m in a good shape, so it will be a fun battle."

Lorenzo, meanwhile, stated, "It was a great feeling to win in Motegi once again. Winning two races in a row after a very disappointing start of the season was unbelievable, not only for me but also for all the guys from Yamaha who worked really hard. Now I look forward to racing in Phillip Island, another amazing place to ride. Australia is always special and the layout is always perfect for having fun."

"To me the joy of riding there with the M1 is difficult to explain but I love the long and fast corners, especially the last one before going towards the straight to the finish. Hopefully we can have another great weekend and fight for the victory once again, which is so important regarding the second place in the championship."

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/L...tle+for+second