BUSTING to unleash their flame-haired spin prodigy, Jake Lehmann and Jamie Siddons will consult the rain Gods before inaugurating Lloyd Pope against New South Wales in Tuesday’s Sheffield Shield opener.

Excitement at Lehmann emulating his father Darren in captaining South Australia at first-class level has been overshadowed by intrigue at Australian under-19 star Pope’s unveiling.

Forecast showers over the next two days has complicated the plan to blood Kensington leg-spinner Pope.

Lehmann said SA would “wait for the weather” but the 18-year-old is expected to start.

Resurgent Adam Zampa is on Twenty20 duty with Australia in the United Arab Emirates making the season opener an ideal chance to see Pope in just his second four-day game.

“He is exciting, spins it both ways and we just want to see how it goes. We think he is a future bowler for us. We lean towards playing him,” Redbacks coach Jamie Siddons told The Advertiser.

“He has a few tricks. I expect him to do a job straight away as our spinner but we have Tom Cooper who can do a job. We will have enough bowling support there.”

Lehmann noted “mature” Pope had the resilience and self belief required of young tweakers who can take a decade to peak. Pope spins a stealth wrong-un more than his stock ball.

“I think that is the great aspect of Lloyd, his competitiveness,” said Lehmann of Pope who took 8/35 against England at this year’s under-19 World Cup in Queenstown.

“He’s not shy to take on the likes of Fergie (Callum Ferguson) and Travis Head or myself in the nets.”

Lehmann will fill in for Test No.4 Head as Redbacks skipper, 11 years after former Test batsman Darren ended a 55-game command.

“He sent me a message saying that he was a proud dad. I’m absolutely honoured to be asked to do it,” said Jake Lehmann.

Nick Winter’s 34 wickets with the Dukes ball in a stunning 2017-18 debut Shield campaign has the left-armer pushing for inclusion ahead of Australian one-day paceman Kane Richardson. Winter took an eight-wicket match haul for South Australia against Victoria last week.

“He took a 5/33 in the Futures League so his numbers are becoming hard to ignore,” said Siddons of Winter.

“Richo gives you that air speed. We have to weigh it up.”

Keeper Harry Nielsen should bat at No.6 replacing Australian T20 vice-captain Alex Carey with allrounder Cam Valente at No.7.

Test speedsters Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins are on the comeback trail from back injuries paving possible Blues debuts for Jack Edwards, 18, Jason Sangha, 19 and allrounder Daniel Sams.