SITTING undefeated atop the Premier League after four matches, Liverpool are understandably optimistic about their chances this season.

Championed as the best of the rest in the hunt to topple Pep Guardiola’s record-breaking City side, the Reds built on last season’s fairy tale run to the Champions League final by conducting some very shrewd business in the transfer window.

But now a nightmarish run of fixtures is set to provide the first real test of their credentials, with Jurgen Klopp’s side set for six match-ups with top quality opposition over their next seven outings in a 24-day run that could shape their season.

It’s very early doors in England’s top tier, with just four matches in the books thus far, but the Merseysiders could hardly have ticked more boxes.

After a four-game winning streak, just one goal conceded and nine in the back of the net themselves, it’s hard to fault their early form.

Saturday night (AEST) sees the pace-setters face an intriguing test against a Spurs side coming off a shock loss to surprise packets Watford – the first hurdle in a brutal seven-match stretch which also features a pair of crucial Champions League clashes.

LIVERPOOL’S NIGHTMARE RUN:
September 15: v Spurs (A), Premier League

September 19: v PSG (H), Champions League

September 23: v Southampton (H), Premier League

Spetember 27: v Chelsea (H), Carabao Cup

September 30: v Chelsea (A), Premier League

October 4: v Napoli (A), Champions League

October 8: v Manchester City (H), Premier League

While Mauricio Pochettino will be without stars Hugo Lloris and Dele Alli, a red-hot Lucas Moura and the always dangerous Harry Kane will no doubt test the league’s most stern defence. Liverpool haven’t beaten Spurs since a 2-0 victory at Anfield in February last year, and the Londoners boast an excellent record against fellow members of the so-called ‘top six.’

It’s also worth noting that their last trip to Wembley resulted in a 4-1 demolition last October as Kane, Alli and Son Heung-Min found the net.

But if a tough Premier League assignment wasn’t enough of a challenge, the Reds will then welcome French champions PSG to Anfield for a pivotal opening Champions League clash. It shapes as a mouth-watering duel between two of Europe’s most lethal strike forces.

Kylian Mbappe, Neymar and Edinson Cavani will go head to head with Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah as Liverpool face off against a top quality rival for the second straight outing.

Just four days later, Southampton get their chance at forcing an upset against a fancied Reds outfit, when they bring top flight action back to Merseyside in what somehow shapes as the closest thing to an ‘easy’ task across this nightmare month.

September is then rounded out with a pair of back to back meetings with Maurizio Sarri’s Chelsea, in yet another mammoth test. The Blues also remain undefeated after four outings, and will put that record on the line when the pair meet in the Premier League on September 30, just three days after a knockout clash in the Carabao Cup.

To summarise that ridiculous run, Liverpool are in action five times across 15 days – including three matches with fellow top six aspirants, and a difficult European meeting with the French champions.

Add in another tricky Euro ask, when Klopp and the boys head over to Italy for an away clash at Serie A runners-up Napoli on October 4, and a surely exhausted Reds outfit will have to back up for their most important clash yet.

The final obstacle in their sadistically designed calendar is a blockbuster clash with defending champions City in a battle which will likely give a timely barometer of their title hopes.

It’s a 24-day period that could make or break their entire season – both in Europe and the Premier League.

Sky Sports pundit, and former Manchester United star, Gary Neville believes they should think long and hard about their priorities and even consider forgoing a genuine attempt in Europe in favour of improving their chances of ending their 28-year Premer League drought.

“The Champions League - if I was Liverpool, I would kick it into touch,” Neville told The Times.

“I know that’s very hard to do but if they could go into February, March, April without it, I think they could have a real chance if they had free weeks.

“Why? I think their method is exhausting for the front three (Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino ). The drop in quality below them, if there are injuries or playing Wednesday, Saturday, I think it will take its toll.”

Regardless of their priorities, it shapes as a defining month for the Reds and one which could shape the outcome of the Premier League.