Australia's Marc Leishman remains among the frontrunners at the PGA Tour season-opening CIMB Classic in Malaysia despite some back nine issues on Saturday.

The Victorian was quick out of the blocks during the penultimate round at the TPC Kuala Lumpur West course with three birdies and an eagle in the first five holes.

His eagle after extricating himself from a fairway bunker was the obvious highlight after he judged the undulating green to perfection to tap in for a three on the par-5 third.

Leishman ultimately reached the turn at six-under for the day and although he picked up another shot on the 10th, bogeys on 11 and 13 left him to sign for a five-under 67.

"I'm happy with the round. I've given myself a good chance tomorrow, so hopefully I can be hot like I was on those first 10 holes today," he said.

The joint overnight leader with American Gary Woodland, Leishman also has Shubhankar Sharma for company atop the leaderboard after the Indian produced a 66, his best round of the tournament.

Woodland needed a birdie on 18 to create a three-way tie at 19-under heading into Sunday's final round.

He almost claimed the outright lead but just missed an eagle putt, while Leishman and Sharma had to settle for par before heading to the clubhouse.

The trio have a two-stroke lead over South Africa's Louis Oosthuizen, who moved up the leaderboard with a 65, and American first-round leader Bronson Burgoon (67).

Stewart Cink (US) shot 63 for the lowest round of the day and was four strokes off the lead.

American Justin Thomas - who is trying to win the tournament for the third time in four years - had a 69 and was at 12-under, seven strokes off the pace in five-way tie for 19th.

Australian Cameron Smith is among that group after adding a 66 to back-to-back rounds of 69.