Darren Lehmann has revealed his ambition to return to coaching.

Lehmann was slated to step down as Australia's coach after the 2019 Ashes in England but resigned in tears amid the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal earlier this year.

Lehmann was cleared of any wrongdoing by a formal Cricket Australia (CA) investigation of the happenings in Cape Town, which resulted in year-long bans for Steve Smith and David Warner.

The no-nonsense mentor decided shortly after watching Smith repeatedly break down during his arrival press conference at Sydney airport that it was time to go.

Lehmann, who was in charge of the national side for almost five years, recently completed his contract with CA at the organisation's training base in Brisbane.

"I'd like to coach again one day. I think I'm a good coach, my coaching record is pretty good," Lehmann told AAP at the launch of Fox Cricket.

"At some stage I'll get there.

"A shorter commitment is probably the way to go ... that's probably what I'm looking for.

"But I'm just going to stay away from it this summer, watch the cricket and enjoy it. See what comes up next year."

Lehmann oversaw Ashes success at home in 2013-14 and 2017-18, plus Australia's 2015 World Cup triumph, but his role in the side's aggressive mentality has been questioned.

The 48-year-old said he's keen to see the results of the upcoming independent cultural review of CA, having shared some "good discussions" with the Ethics Centre panel.

Lehmann backed Smith, who attended Tuesday's launch at the SCG, Warner and Cameron Bancroft to bounce back from their bans.

"I speak to them all the time. They're going alright," Lehmann said.

"They'll come back really well. They're good young men and they'll come back.

"They've been training, hitting and they're fit. Spending some time away from the game as well.

"I'd love them to be available for domestic cricket but that's not my decision. That's the powers above me."

The previous six months have been a rollercoaster for Lehmann, who has previously admitted he initially wasn't in a great place after the sandpaper scandal.

"I've got my life back. It (coaching Australia) was 300-odd days away from home a year, it takes its toll," Lehmann said.

"It's been good to be home and actually enjoy just going to the cricket now, watching it without all the influences around having to win.

"There's no stress, put it that way. It's quite good."