Shrewsbury Town earned an FA Cup third-round replay after a goalless draw against West Ham.

The hosts, who are second in League One, put in an impressive performance throughout but were unable to find the winner.

Ben Godfrey almost poked home from Shaun Whalley's free-kick and Mat Sadler saw his chance saved by goalkeeper Joe Hart.

The Hammers, who made four changes from Thursday's Premier League draw with Tottenham, looked lethargic in their third match in six days.

They were pinned into their own area for most of the game and could only register two shots on target - both from Andre Ayew.

It means the Shrews will now travel to London Stadium later this month with the hope of reaching the fourth round of the competition for only the second time in 14 seasons.

West Ham, meanwhile, will be hoping to avoid being knocked out in the third round for the sixth time in eight years.

West Ham goalkeeper Hart was recalled to the first team and made captain for his return to his boyhood town and the club where he started his career.

He got a warm reception as he walked out on to the pitch at Montgomery Waters Meadow and had to be alert to danger throughout.

The England international made strong saves to deny Godfrey and Sadler from close range, while West Ham's defence was able to scupper a late attack from captain Abu Ogogo in stoppage time.

Shrewsbury, two points off leaders Wigan in the third tier, boast an enviable defensive record with only four goals conceded at home this season.

But, in truth, West Ham offered little to trouble their back line.

The visitors had only four touches in the opposition's penalty area and their only half-chances came from Ayew - his low, tame effort in the first half coming before a flicked header after the break.

One of the more memorable, if painful, moments for West Ham came when midfielder Josh Cullen lost his front tooth after receiving a high boot to the face from Ogogo.

Cullen's tooth was retrieved from the pitch by the Hammers physio and after receiving treatment, the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international was able to continue playing.

Shrewsbury defender Sadler also needed extensive treatment after a clash of heads with Ayew. The 32-year-old needed two trips off the field to deal with the bleeding and ended up with a bandage around his head for the second half.

'We were terrible today'
West Ham goalkeeper Joe Hart, when asked if his side got out of jail: "100%. We were terrible today and Shrewsbury were really good.

"It's a tough place to come. We didn't play well. We had three games in a week and there were opportunities for the lads, including myself.

"I can't blame fatigue. There was some terrible football played today and we lost a lot of battles.

"This is where I grew up, my home town. It gave me my opportunity in football. It's very special. It was a nice moment but in the game I wanted to win."

Shrewsbury Town manager Paul Hurst: "The players are a little bit deflated almost.

"To their credit, they did extremely well but if we'd had just that little bit of quality and we may have got through. So it's mixed feelings really.

"But we have a replay to look forward to. We know it will be tough. They will be at home, more comfortable in their own stadium."