PLAYING the role of the pesky small forward is one that agrees with Port Adelaide draftee Boyd Woodcock.

The Power can thank 2004 premiership player Josh Carr for transforming the 18-year-old from a ball-winning midfielder to a goal-kicking dynamo.

Carr – who now coaches SANFL premiers North Adelaide – elevated Woodcock into the senior side during the second half of the season.

But it was in the finals where his draft stocks rose when his mandate became to frustrate the opposition's most damaging defender.

Woodcock booted three goals in the Grand Final against Norwood, to go with three the week before in the preliminary final against Woodville-West Torrens, to help the Roosters claim the flag.

With half a dozen clubs signaling their interest to take the 175cm Woodcock as a late pick in the national draft or as a rookie, he had to wait until the Power pounced with the 76th overall selection.

Power coach Ken Hinkley made it clear what he expects in his first phone call after the draft.

"Ken asked if I liked being annoying; that was a role Carry got into me in the SANFL finals," Woodcock said.

"Hopefully that role going forward is something I can do at this club.

"As a junior, I was more a midfielder and I only really played as a forward at school football.

"Carry bred that into me with the help of blokes like Robbie Young, who got drafted (by) St Kilda and (Roosters teammate) Lewis Hender."

Woodcock studied Greater Western Sydney star Toby Greene closely and borrowed some of his tricks.

"Towards that (SANFL) finals series I really got into blokes like Toby Greene, who just in that niggly sort of role can push up the ground and work hard back towards goal," he said.

"If I can be half as good as he is, that would be awesome."

Woodcock has a familiar face with him at the Power having played alongside No.5 overall pick Connor Rozee since their junior days.

"Connor and I have played footy together since we were about 12 years old and grew up playing together at North and Broadview as well," Woodcock said.

"To be able to win a SANFL premiership at 18 and then to get drafted to the same team is pretty special.

"Doing that senior pre-season with North Adelaide that Connor and I did last season sets you up for this year and gives you the step ahead to fast-track you."