COACH Justin Langer has conceded that Australia needs to reconsider how it schedules its domestic season following the side’s 5-0 one-day international series loss to England.

Australia’s national men’s team has now lost four straight bilateral ODI series and has the worst win-loss ratio in the world across the past year and a half. Less than 12 months out from the 2019 World Cup, the team sits sixth on the International Cricket Council’s ODI rankings.

It’s a malaise that has seen questions asked of the structure of the domestic season, in which state teams play all their one-day cricket in a three-and-a-half-week period in September-October. They are questions Langer understands, having seen first-hand the benefits of playing one-day cricket throughout the season.

“We haven’t had a great couple of years in one-day cricket and maybe that’s something we have to look at,” Langer said on SEN’s Whateley. “When you’re not getting the performances you’d like, and you play one-day international cricket throughout the whole year when you just have it in a three week pre-season period, I’m sure that’s something we can have a look at in the system.

“My view always as a state coach, and maybe I was just old-fashioned, but I loved when we were able to play Sheffield Shield cricket followed by a one-day game. So then you’re playing (one-day cricket) throughout the whole year.

“You had to adapt and one thing I know about great players and great teams, they have to adapt all the time.”

At the same time, the new Australia coach says there are benefits to the truncated one-day tournament structure.

“We’ve just played five one-day internationals plus two practice games over two-and-a-half weeks. The benefit of the current system is you get used to tournament-style cricket.”

CA released its domestic schedule last week, confirming the one-day cup would remain a pre-season tournament.

While Australia is currently struggling in one-day cricket, England is rewriting the record books. Eoin Morgan’s men shattered their own record for the highest total in a men’s ODI in the third match against Australia, battering 6-481 at Trent Bridge.

Right now England sits atop the ICC’s rankings, 26 points ahead of sixth-placed Australia.

While Langer has plenty of admiration for the way England is playing, he says Australia must not fall into the trap of forgetting its past.

“They’re playing brilliantly.

“We’ll look at it, we’ll respect it but I also know Australians have been – whilst we haven’t been for the last two years – very good at one-day cricket for a long, long time. We’ve got to make sure we learn strong lessons from what we’ve done in the past as well.”