Mustafizur celebrating one of his victims en route his fifer against India © AFP

Mustafizur Rahman, the Bangladesh left-arm pacer who ended up with a rich haul of 20 wickets in the ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019, said his performance in the tournament left him with mixed feelings, considering the amount of runs he gave away during the campaign.

One of only two bowlers to pick up 20 wickets or more in this World Cup so far, Mustafizur also bagged a couple of five-wicket-hauls. However, his economy rate of 6.7 and the 484 runs he conceded in the eight matches that he played meant that he was only "50 percent" happy.

Mustafizur picked five-wicket hauls against India and Pakistan in successive matches in the World Cup, and in the process reached the 100-wicket milestone in only 54 ODIs, making himself the fastest Bangladeshi bowler to achieve the feat.

"I am 50 percent happy. If I could have given less runs then [probably it would have been 100 percent]," said Mustafizur, who added that the fifer that he bagged in two consecutive matches gave him something to rejoice, especially the one against India. "Five wickets are always memorable, it stays in the mind. It's the fifth time I got five wickets in a match in my career. Once in T20s.

"Five wickets are always special. Back to back five wickets hauls in the World Cup, it's definitely something to rejoice. Considering the strength of the Indian batting lineup, those five wickets gave me more satisfaction. But I don't want to say which wicket gave me more satisfaction because all wickets are important to me," he added.

Although he picked up seven wickets more than the second-highest wicket-taker for Bangladesh - Mohammad Saifuddin (13) - all of Mustafizur's wickets came only after the 30th over in each game that he played. Speaking about the lack of wickets upfront, the left-arm seamer attributed it to his inability to produce natural swing.

"With the new ball swing is important. My ball doesn't swing that much. Sometimes it does but not that much. Many bowlers get natural swing, it doesn't happen with me. I have to work on that so that I can get the inswing," said Mustafizur, who also insists that he can become a better bowler even in the death overs.

"Everyone is saying that I am doing well in the slog overs. But personally I am not happy. I could have done a bit better. If I had more variations it would have been great. I am bowling cutters but my yorkers are 50-50. If the accuracy of yorkers gets better then I would do better in the death overs. I think playing more T20s will help accuracy while bowling in the last ten overs of a one-day game.

"I am ready to bowl at any stage in the match," Mustafizur added. "I am a slightly different pace bowler. I average about 135kph, so I am not that quick. I am happy with my speed but I should be able to add a few more variations to my bowling."