The Cubs can seemingly do no wrong at this point, but manager Joe Maddon has a risky trick up his sleeve.

Maddon is interested in trying out Kyle Schwarber as the team's leadoff hitter this season, after losing Dexter Fowler to the Cardinals.

MORE:

The Cubs don't have a prototypical leadoff hitter, instead they will likely rely on a combination of Schwarber, Ben Zobrist and possibly Albert Almora Jr.

Is this a gap in an otherwise loaded team, one that could hurt their chances at winning a second straight title? Or is it just a small hurdle the team will easily jump over?

Speed on the base paths could be a minor problem for the Cubs this season. Fowler had just 13 stolen bases last season, but he was a threat to run. That threat is no longer in the lineup.

Schwarber presents an intriguing figure first in the lineup. He has a quick bat, high contact ratio and he drew 36 walks in 232 at-bats in 2015. Batting him leadoff also adds another lethal batter lurking behind the end of the order. He will likely still get plenty of RBI opportunities with no weak links in the lineup.

"We're still toying with the idea of the pitcher [batting] eighth and either [Jon] Jay or [Albert Almora Jr.] in the nine hole, which makes it more interesting to me," Maddon said, .

"Theoretically, it would be perfect if it went Almora or Jon to Schwarber to [Kris Bryant]," Maddon said. "That's kind of nice. The only concern I have there is who's hitting seventh? We have a nice lineup, so the seven-hole hitter would then lose the benefit of having the pitcher hit eighth. It has nothing to do with the eight hole and hitting sooner. My concern is who's hitting seventh, and what that's going to do to that guy."

Wrigleyville is still abuzz with excitement following last year's curse-breaking season. It will be interesting to see how the young Cubs squad responds to no longer playing as the underdogs.

The Cubs can seemingly do no wrong at this point, but manager Joe Maddon has a risky trick up his sleeve.

Maddon is interested in trying out Kyle Schwarber as the team's leadoff hitter this season, after losing Dexter Fowler to the Cardinals.

MORE:

The Cubs don't have a prototypical leadoff hitter, instead they will likely rely on a combination of Schwarber, Ben Zobrist and possibly Albert Almora Jr.

Is this a gap in an otherwise loaded team, one that could hurt their chances at winning a second straight title? Or is it just a small hurdle the team will easily jump over?

Speed on the base paths could be a minor problem for the Cubs this season. Fowler had just 13 stolen bases last season, but he was a threat to run. That threat is no longer in the lineup.

Schwarber presents an intriguing figure first in the lineup. He has a quick bat, high contact ratio and he drew 36 walks in 232 at-bats in 2015. Batting him leadoff also adds another lethal batter lurking behind the end of the order. He will likely still get plenty of RBI opportunities with no weak links in the lineup.

"We're still toying with the idea of the pitcher [batting] eighth and either [Jon] Jay or [Albert Almora Jr.] in the nine hole, which makes it more interesting to me," Maddon said, .

"Theoretically, it would be perfect if it went Almora or Jon to Schwarber to [Kris Bryant]," Maddon said. "That's kind of nice. The only concern I have there is who's hitting seventh? We have a nice lineup, so the seven-hole hitter would then lose the benefit of having the pitcher hit eighth. It has nothing to do with the eight hole and hitting sooner. My concern is who's hitting seventh, and what that's going to do to that guy."

Wrigleyville is still abuzz with excitement following last year's curse-breaking season. It will be interesting to see how the young Cubs squad responds to no longer playing as the underdogs.