This will be Garth's third appearance in the tournament, having represented Sydney Sixers previously © Getty

Ireland's vice-captain Kim Garth has signed up with Perth Scorchers for the 2019 edition of the Women's Big Bash League (WBBL). This will be Garth's third appearance in the tournament, having represented Sydney Sixers previously.

Expressing her surprise on the call-up, Garth said, "It came to me as a bit of a shock, I was playing in a World Cup qualifier at the time and when I heard the Scorchers wanted to sign me I was over the moon. It's incredibly exciting to be back playing in the Big Bash, it's the best domestic competition in the world and it goes from strength-to-strength each year.

"We have some incredible players this year with the likes of Meg Lanning and Nat Sciver, so I'm most excited about hopefully learning of those guys and challenging myself against the best in the world."

Commenting on the move, Scorcher's coach Lisa Keightley said, "It's great to see Kim back playing in the Big Bash competition, she comes into our squad with valuable WBBL experience and had a great impact with the ball. I'm really excited with the squad we have put together, we have great flexibility across the board which will be the key to our campaign."