KHABIB Nurmagomedov's stunning victory over Conor McGregor has been marred by one of the craziest moments in UFC history.

Moments after Nurmagomedov sunk in a rear naked choke to retain his lightweight title, the Dagestani hurled a volley of abuse at his vanquished opponent before leaping the cage and attacking McGregor's grappling partner Dillon Danis.

But the chaos had only just started, with two members of Nurmagomedov's team jumped into the cage, landing several punches on McGregor before dozens of security guards intervened.

In scenes never seen before in the Octagon, UFC boss Dana White refused the wrap the belt around Nurmagomedov's waist due to fears people would throw a hail of garbage into the cage, leaving Bruce Buffer to announce the winner by himself.

White revealed three of Nurmagomedov's team had been taken to jail by Las Vegas police.

"I don't even know what to say right now... I'm disgusted and just... sick over it," said White.

"Lot of bad stuff and stuff that shouldn’t happen. I’m just disgusted. Three of Khabib's guys have been arrested. They are on their way to jail. There will be charges filed against them I’m sure. These guys may never get visa to get back in the country."

The incident leaves a dark stain on an incredible performance from Nurmagomedov who completely dominated McGregor with his otherworldly grappling, granite chin and iron will. His control of the fight was masterful. He weathered everything McGregor threw at him, brushing off the Irishman's famed power and even getting the better of the striking exchanges.

Nurmagomedov took control in the fourth round to stretch McGregor into even deeper water and finally jumping to his rival's back to tap McGregor with an old-fashioned neck crank. Nurmagomedov's professional record moves to 27-0, while McGregor suffered his second defeat in the UFC.

UFC colour commentator Joe Rogan believes the dominant win cancels any chance of a rematch but the wild scenes have laid the perfect groundwork for a rematch.